5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2016 10:51 AM by simonb84718135

I don't know how to achieve this effect

filmaker10

I know he used Luma Key but I wasn't able to separate the background and foreground that clearly as seen in the video.

I would appreciate if some of you could explain how to do it in details.  (The effect is at 1:46-1:50)

Follow Your Stoke 4. - Nainoa Langer - YouTube  

Thank you,

• 1. Re: I don't know how to achieve this effect
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There was probably some roto involved.

Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 6.47.06 PM.png

Without seeing your timeline and your footage it's impossible to give you meaningful pointers on how to work with a luma matte. I can tell you this that if you are creating a luma matte from footage there is almost always some serious color correction that is required to pull a decent matte. Depending on the effects you apply to the layer pre-composing may be required to complete the task.

Post some frames and post a screenshot of your project with the composition selected in the Project panel so we can see the project settings and the modified properties of the layer you are trying to use as a layer matte revealed (press the U key twice) and maybe we can point you in the right direction. Here is a typical setup that I may use to pull a luma matte. I want to create a sepia tone shot but didn't have much control over the sky. Here's the original shot:Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 7.10.35 PM.png

It becomes this luma matte:

Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 7.25.16 PM.png

And by using the luma matte on an adjustment layer this mess:

Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 7.27.55 PM.png

Becomes this:

Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 7.28.14 PM.png

I hope this helps.

I'm not sure how you "know he used Luma Key" but I probably wouldn't have approached the shot that way. The approach depends on the footage.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I don't know how to achieve this effect
            JohnyFive Level 2

Nainoa did a Q&A, the tuts he's followed are in his description of this video

Q&A - Software, Equipment, & Transitions - YouTube

Baker's Tuts ,he mentions, shows the Luma Fade Transition here:

After Effects Tutorial: Luma Fade Transition - YouTube

• 3. Re: I don't know how to achieve this effect
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

In that first youtube link, I see a college kid in a dorm room.

In this thread, I see advice offered by an effects professional who has used After Effects since Version One, some 23 years ago.

Who do you think just might have a better grasp of the application?

• 4. Re: I don't know how to achieve this effect
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The tutorial you mentioned reenforced my statement, you have to manipulate the clip you use as a luma matte to achieve the effect you want. In the example transition from your original post the person standing on the rock was also rotoscoped out or a procedural matte was used to isolate that part of the image so more layers were involved. I would have use roto. Without seeing your clip we can't give you much better advice.

If you are having problems you need to show us the clip and explain what you are trying to do. The tutorial you pointed to in your reply was fair but was not much more than a recipe. It's hard to be a great cook if you are only taught to follow recipes. The techniques shown in the tutorial would not give you the leave part of the frame unaffected for most of the transition result you seem to want and it can't be done on a single layer with a stack of effects.

I just happened to be working on a clip using a luma matte when I saw your post so I didn't take the time to roto something out and give you all of the steps because your question was only about separating the foreground and background. I gave you a quick example of manipulating an image so it can be used for a track matte. If you posted a frame of the two shots you wanted to use and explained what part of what shot you were having problems with then we could give you some better advice.

• 5. Re: I don't know how to achieve this effect
                  simonb84718135

Hello my friend, i may be of assistance.

As a guy, who has tried to achieve this effect myself.

First things first - a luma fade transition does not work with all clips, but it does in this case.

you can see, that he has rotoscoped himself out, so the first clip is a clip from Yosemite, and the second clip is a random clip of some mountain side. Now, the Luma fade transitions appears between the 2 clips of the mountains, but Nainoa has rotoscoped himself and the  rock he stands on, this is VERY visible on the colorchange and the "edge" of himself in the clip, the masking is just not that well hidden.

So basically, 3 layers

Clip 1 - primary clip with him standing on the edge

Clip 2 - random clip

At some point between the two clips, he has masked himself out, perhaps using rotoscope, and then he lets the two clip transition with a luma fade transition, which is shown in tutorials online.