3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2008 1:26 AM by xlifes

Rotating Menu - Buttons don't work inside MC's

xlifes Level 1
      Hello,
      This is my first post here and it would be great if I could have your help to solve this little problem:

--------------------------------------------------
      Flash CS3 | AS2 | Rotating Menu
      --------------------------------------------------

I'm creating a small animation in which I have a clock-like rotative menu.
      I found the code for this in the internet and made some few adjustments (mainly just took somethings I didn't needed out)

In my file I have 6 circles that are all movieclips that make part of a circular menu that rotates everytime you click on one of the circles. Those movieclips are not on the stage, only on the library, and are being "pulled" into action by the actionscript.

I need those movieclips to act as menu buttons, so I made a button inside each one of them.
      The problem is that the buttons don't work. They don't do what they are suppose to (load another movieclip). The solution must be quite simple because it doesn't make sense not to work, but I'm unable to get it...
      In the original file they worked as buttons that linked to an URL but I removed that because I didn't need it. Just need them to act as normal buttons and play another MC...

Do you have any idea why this happens?
      Does it have anything to do with the fact that the circle movieclips that contain the buttons are not actually on the stage?!

The code I'm using in the buttons is rather simple: on(release){
      movie1.play();
      }

I would appreciate your help on this!
      Thank you,

• 1. Re: Rotating Menu - Buttons don't work inside MC's
          Odisey2
          I'm not an expert here - I may provide some helpful info from experience though. Are you sure the behavior on your buttons are targeting MCs that are in your local directory? I am familiar with loading external clips from the local directory. You can create them on the stage then export then by clicking on them in the library.

Also are you sure the MCs you are calling to load have targetsMCs to load into?

For example - button one targets external clip MCone to load into containerOne.

And lastly, since you have MCs nested in other MCs make sure you have the paths set correctly '_root.mc.mc' - etc... The path usually causes problems when you nest clips and then use them to call other clips to load.

I hope this is helpful.

Odisey
          • 2. Re: Rotating Menu - Buttons don't work inside MC's
            xlifes Level 1
            Hi Odisey2,

I appreciate the time you took to try to help me!

I only have 1 frame in my stage, and its the one that contains the actioscript code.
            I also have on stage the MC i'm trying to make the button play. The first frame of that MC is empty and has a stop, so that its not visible at first.
            Then I wanted that when you click the button (the onde that is inside the MCs that are being "pulled" by the code I sampled) it would play that MC on stage.

The code I'm using in the burron is pretty simple: on(release){
            movie1.play();
            }

I've tried to put "_root" before, like this: "_root.movie1" but it doesn't work as well.

Any other idea?
            Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that the circle movieclips that contain the buttons are not actually on the stage?!

Thanks,
            • 3. Re: Rotating Menu - Buttons don't work inside MC's
              xlifes Level 1
              Hi Odisey2,

I appreciate the time you took to try to help me!

I only have 1 frame in my stage, and its the one that contains the actioscript code.
              I also have on stage the MC i'm trying to make the button play. The first frame of that MC is empty and has a stop, so that its not visible at first.
              Then I wanted that when you click the button (the onde that is inside the MCs that are being "pulled" by the code I sampled) it would play that MC on stage.

The code I'm using in the burron is pretty simple: on(release){
              movie1.play();
              }

I've tried to put "_root" before, like this: "_root.movie1" but it doesn't work as well.

Any other idea?
              Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that the circle movieclips that contain the buttons are not actually on the stage?!

Thanks,