• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects unable to allocate 0,002 MB of memory (CS6 on Win7 Home)

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past several days I keep getting the above mentioned error when working with 3D layers (my entire projects consists of 21 sec video footage and several 3D layers).

I went to AE preferences and deleted disk cache, restarted AE but the problem persists. Disk cache size is set to 91GB, my C: drive has 198 GB of free space. 6GB  of RAM is installed, No other programs are running when i'm working with AE, except for windows explorer

ae memory.png

What is going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016
the version number is 11.0.0.378

the after effects version you are using is the not up to date. you should update it to 11.0.4. many bug fixes, maybe even the issue you are facing.

whatever release you are using - ALWAYS use the most updated version of each release.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your footage. This could indicate a damaged source file or leaky CoDec.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, if what Mylenium suggested doesn't help, what are your memory and multiprocessing settings?

Also, what, exact, version number of AE are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first my source footage was AVI with alpha, after Mylenium's tip I changed it to MOV with alpha and since then I got this error only once so far (actually the error was "unable to allocate 0,000 MB of memory", and the project at that time contained around six  3D layers of the same MOV footage).

I have allocated 5GB for After Effects in preferences and the version number is 11.0.0.378

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the version number is 11.0.0.378

the after effects version you are using is the not up to date. you should update it to 11.0.4. many bug fixes, maybe even the issue you are facing.

whatever release you are using - ALWAYS use the most updated version of each release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"ALWAYS use the most updated version of each release"

With all due respect Roei, that is not the thing to do.

Adobe seems to constantly release buggy software in order for all of us to act as beta-testers in our lives.  I can't use the latest AE because it simply crashes constantly.  Have problems been fixed so that I can finally use the latest version of AE?  Perhaps...but I don't have time to check or risk slowing myself down.  I'm too busy *doing work*.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

darrenh36341494  wrote

I can't use the latest AE because it simply crashes constantly.  Have problems been fixed so that I can finally use the latest version of AE?  Perhaps...but I don't have time to check or risk slowing myself down.  I'm too busy *doing work*.

It doesn't seem like they've worked all the bugs.  Not even most of the bugs.  My policy is to say one version behind.  When the initial release of a new version comes out, that's when I know to get the previous version.

By then they've worked out most of the bugs.  Or ran out of time bug-fixing because they had to work on new features for the newest version.

Hey, you can't lure in new renters just by saying, "we fixed stuff that didn't work".  You have to say, "look what we made that's new and cool!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

darrenh36341494  wrote

"ALWAYS use the most updated version of each release"

With all due respect Roei, that is not the thing to do.

He isn't saying to use the latest release. He's saying, "whatever release you're using, use the latest update for it". That is usually the best plan since subsequent updates of major releases are mostly bug fix updates so they tend to be more stable with fewer issues.

Take the recent update for example. They fixed over 50 bugs. Generally speaking, if you're using CC 2018, you're going to want the update. It fixes a number of crashes and performance issues. (Expressions, for example, that were faster in CC 2017 vs CC 2018 are now back up to fast again.)

Now, I wouldn't say to "always" use the most updated version of each release, but it's usually the best choice. If you aren't experiencing bugs and you're in the middle of a project with a tight deadline, maybe hold off, but otherwise, updating with one of these small bug fix updates is usually wise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Szalam, thanks for the clarification.  Point taken!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines