6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2017 9:22 AM by Szalam

CC 2017  update needs to reinstall all plugins etc

RusstheEdit Level 1

Its a real pain in the A*** why does the new CC2017 installer fail to copy over all of the plugins and scripts installed in the previous version of aftereffects.

It seems to be a random feature the Adobe include in updates, sometimes it does others it doesn't.

oh well off to reinstall everything again?

• 1. Re: CC 2017  update needs to reinstall all plugins etc
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not sure what you are saying. Several plug-ins require updated CC 2017 versions, anyway, so there would be little sense in copying over old, incompatible versions, some of which won't even register in the menus.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: CC 2017  update needs to reinstall all plugins etc
            RusstheEdit Level 1

I think copying over everything and then giving an error message about incompatible plugins would be of more use than just ignoring everything, perhaps even a message saying that plugins wont be copied across would be helpful. As I only had an idea things werent right when I re opened a project from Friday, that was created in 2015.4 or whatever the last version was to get a load of missing plugin messages after AE had finished updating the project file. so you then wast even more time.

As a test I've just moved the plugins and scripts folder into the new AE 2017 folder and everything has been picked up and is working without actually running the install programs for the likes of Trapcode suite etc so it seems daft for AE not to do it automaitcally like it has done in the past for previous updates!

that's what I'm saying, after all all my presets and program layouts came across via Creative Cloud so why not plugings and scripts!

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: CC 2017  update needs to reinstall all plugins etc
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After Effects hasn't copied plugins and scripts over from previous versions when it does a major update. This was from version 13.x to version 14 of After Effects. Especially when they jump whole version numbers, you've had to move/reinstall plugins and scripts. But you had to copy them manually from CC 2014 to CC 2015 (even though it was version 13.2 to version 13.5 - same for going from 13.7 to 13.8).

• 4. Re: CC 2017  update needs to reinstall all plugins etc
                lemonproof Level 1

I've got the same problem with CC 2017 not showing Print Studio Pro plug-in.Grrrrrrrrr.Adobe says it's Canon's problem and Canon says it's Adobe's! WTF.Would be nice if they sorted out compatibility issues before release.Manual install has failed.Bugger.

• 5. Re: CC 2017  update needs to reinstall all plugins etc
                  noakes Level 1

I am totally pissed at Adobe for this. If any of the product managers read this, please please have the user's old plugins and scripts transfer to the new updated version of AE.

• 6. Re: CC 2017  update needs to reinstall all plugins etc
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When it's a point update, it does keep all of your plugins and scripts, but when it's a whole new version, often plugins require an installer to run because of how they work. Not all plugins can simply be moved over. If they did, they might break them. I think Adobe is taking the "better safe than sorry" approach on this one.