Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC Page Number Alignment

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello fellow inDesign users,

I'm having a bit of trouble setting up a List of Effective Pages (LEP) for a multi-document Book file. I'm using the Table of Contents (TOC) tool with a specific style coupled with specific paragraph styles to accomplish what I need. It's worked out for me pretty well so far, there's just one minor thing that I would like to change. First let me draw you a picture of what the LEP looks like.

The LEP consists of 3 columns; Column 1 is the section number, Column 2 is the page number, and column 3 is the change date. So, it looks something like this:

SECTION NUMBER                              PAGE                          DATE

01-01-01                                              1                                Nov 7/2016

2                                Nov 7/2016

01-01-02                                              201                            Nov 7/2016

202                            Nov 7/2016         

As you can see, some of my page numbers are 3-digit numbers. Currently, they're lining up at the first digit. I want them to line up at the last digit. Like this:

Instead of:                                                                                     I want:

1                                                                                                    1

2                                                                                                    2

201                                                                                            201

202                                                                                            202

The method I used to get to where I am is to have the section number paragraph style with no page number followed by the date paragraph style with the page number listed before. It's a minor thing, but it will irritate me if I can't figure it out.  Any help you can provide would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a right aligned tabulator stop or a numeric comma stop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Begin by turning on text symbols. Set the alignment to Left and remove all but a single tab between the columns. For your table you want a total of two tab characters per line. Don't worry how messy it looks.

InDesign CCss_007.png

Select the body of the LEP and open Type > Tabs. Add a Right align tab where you want the second column to go, and a left align tab where you want the third column to go. Add a tab by clicking, change the alignment in the Tab Well at the far left. Drag tabs left/right to reposition, and drag extra tabs out of the ruler to remove them. (Two total!)

InDesign CCss_008.png

I used center tabs for the heading.

InDesign CCss_009.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb. What you did looks awesome. Unfortunately, my set up is a little bit different. Instead of trying to draw you a picture, I just took a snapshot of the actual file. For this example, we'll just call the "Ch-Se-Su" section "Section Number".

Because of the way I have my chapter files set up, I had to bring in the Section Number and Date as their own entities in the Table of Contents Style tool. I set the Page Number option for the Section Number to "No Page Number". I set the Page Number option for the Change Date to "Before Entry", as seen here:

All of this gets me the correct information in the correct columns. The only issue I'm having is the alignment of the numbers. I want them to align on the decimal instead of on the first digit.

I've tried a Right Indent Tab (^y) instead of a Tab Character (^t) in the "Between Entry and Number" field, but it doesn't change the alignment. I've also played with the Paragraph Style listed in the "Entry Style" field, but I just can't seem to get it to work.

Also, I want to make sure that I'm not going to have to redo the formatting for this every time I update the TOC/LEP. I'm trying to create a baseline template for my entire department. I'm one of the smart ones here. If I can't figure it out, I really don't want to let them loose on it.  LOL

Thank you for any help you can provide. I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide the file that you have so far? It is difficult to provide a solution without the formatting that you have in place already. I have been tinkering around with this and think that I have the solution but I have no good way to test it without your file.

William

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Modelbaseguy,

Unfortunately, the information in these files is proprietary. So I can't share the original files. I can build some dummy files for testing. However, as the TOC and LEP are their own separate files in a book which interrogate the other files in the book, that would be about 6 separate files. Is there a way to share all of that on here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Paulb22558018,

My apologies but I have been distracted with a major project. I am deeply sorry that I have not responded sooner. I know what it is like when you cannot find or receive the help that you need when you need it.

I completely understand about the proprietary nature of your work. The solution I was working on would work on a single InDesign file or book with separate files. I do not know of how or if you could share files here. If you still require assistance you could email me the files at everhartw@astute-digital.com and I will be happy to investigate the situation and apply my possible solution.

Once again, my sincerest of apologies for not responding to you sooner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you getting the two paragraphs on the first line to appear on the same line? a baseline shift?

In any case, you need a tab in front of the numbers to give them a right alignment. That isn't a feature in the table of contents set up dialog box, but you could add a tab automatically using bullets and numbering. Use it to automatically add a tab in front of the page numbers but not the bullet or a number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines