3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2016 2:06 PM by try67

How do you make a PDF not editable?

gwenk58717599 Level 1

Hello - Since converting to Acrobat DC, my office has had trouble making our PDFs not editable. I followed the security functions (File>Properties>Security>Password Security), but this prevents users from being able to print the document--and our users must have that option. However, if we don't apply the password protection, users can edit text, images, etc--which must not happen either. What function creates a static PDF like in the "old days"? Thanks, Gwen

• 1. Re: How do you make a PDF not editable?
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

When you apply the security policy you can select to allow printing, while still forbidding editing of other kinds.

• 2. Re: How do you make a PDF not editable?
            gwenk58717599 Level 1

Thanks, Try67: using your prompt, I made changes to the security settings. That does make the document non-editable. It's not quite the answer I was looking for, though--I will try to articulate it better.

When I export a document to PDF from InDesign, Word, or other programs, the document comes over with editable properties. I don't want that. I want the document to arrive in Acrobat in a static condition. I don't want to edit text, images, or anything else. Is there an export function I need to select? If not possible, what can I do in Acrobat to remove the editability from the document while making it possible to forward to a superior to apply a signature?

Maybe I need to post this in an InDesign forum.

• 3. Re: How do you make a PDF not editable?
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I don't know about ID, but in Acrobat it's easily done. Open the file, go to File - Properties - Security and select Password Security.

You'll see this dialog:

If you want to allow digital signing and printing then select these options:

Enter your password, click OK, save the file and you're done.