13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 4:48 PM by jamesr31895922

Previously processed files now re-appear as undeveloped

jamesr31895922

When I opened my current catalog and went to a folder of previously processed files, the files appeared as undeveloped. In fact, I had previously deleted about 1300 hundred files from this folder and developed the files I wanted to keep. Now, all the deleted files have re-appeared in the catalog, and the deleted files plus the keepers all appear as undeveloped.

I know that I deleted unwanted photos and processed the keeper photos  because I have a backup file from about two weeks ago, and the backup file has only the files that I kept and developed. How could I have processed and backed up the catalog, and now all the deleted files have re-appeared and everything in that folder is undeveloped?

I'm using Lightroom 5.7.1 on a PC.

• 1. Re: Previously processed files now re-appear as undeveloped
          dj_paige Level 9

It's nearly impossible for those of us across the Internet to figure out what happened on your computer.

If you have a backup which contains the edits, I would recommend you use that.

• 2. Re: Previously processed files now re-appear as undeveloped
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Any chance you opened a different catalog?

• 3. Re: Previously processed files now re-appear as undeveloped
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

The most likely answer is that you opened an 'old' catalog-  one you created before you did the deletions and edits.

Maybe you opened a previous 'Backup' catalog. A mistake that can lead to confusion.

backup file from about two weeks ago

This is probably the latest version of your work, and if so, make this your 'master' catalog.

You do know that Lightroom catalogs do not contain your photos? A catalog is like a library index that has references to your photo files.

Good practice is to only have the one working catalog in a common place like "My Documents" or a "Pictures" folder. All backups should be saved and stored on a separate physical hard-drive in an "Out-of-the-way" location so as to avoid confusion.

• 4. Re: Previously processed files now re-appear as undeveloped
                jamesr31895922 Level 1

Thanks for replying. Obviously, I can't figure it out either. The problem with using the backup file is that it doesn't contain everything I've done since then.

So I've got a choice. I can use the current catalog and re-process all the old files, or use the backup file and re-import everything since then. Either way, it's going to be hours and hours of work.

I'm really sick of these things happening in LR. When I first started using LR I figured all the problems of missing files and changed edits were due to the learning curve. But now, after two years, I have a consistent editing and saving process, and this shouldn't happen.

It's time to start looking at other software.

• 5. Re: Previously processed files now re-appear as undeveloped
                  jamesr31895922 Level 1

Thanks for replying. No, there is no chance of opening the wrong catalog. I only have one catalog. In  fact, I went out and bought a new drive about a month ago, and I put my one catalog on the new drive. The new drive is solely for LR  and photo processing. There is nothing else on the drive.

It's a complete mystery.

• 6. Re: Previously processed files now re-appear as undeveloped
                    dj_paige Level 9

jamesr31895922 wrote:

Thanks for replying. Obviously, I can't figure it out either. The problem with using the backup file is that it doesn't contain everything I've done since then.

So I've got a choice. I can use the current catalog and re-process all the old files, or use the backup file and re-import everything since then. Either way, it's going to be hours and hours of work.

First, make a backup of your current catalog, in case anything goes wrong. It wouldn't hurt to make a copy of the backup catalog as well. Put those somewhere so you can find them again just in case.

Next, you can merge parts of each catalog so that you don't lose anything. In one catalog, select the photos you want, then File->Export as Catalog.

In the other catalog, get rid of the items you DON'T want, then use File->Import as Catalog.

• 7. Re: Previously processed files now re-appear as undeveloped
                      jamesr31895922 Level 1

Brilliant !!

I'll give that a try. I'm still confused though about how deleted files reappeared. However, if I can get one catalog in good shape, I won't worry about it.

Thanks for you help.

• 8. Re: Previously processed files now re-appear as undeveloped
                        jamesr31895922 Level 1

I'm sure I didn't open any old catalogs, and I'm aware that the photo files are just referenced by the catalog.

However, I don't understand how a backup catalog can become the latest version of my work.

It looks like I'm going to try to reconstruct my current catalog by exporting the photos I need from the backup catalog into the current catalog.

Thanks for your comments.

• 9. Re: Previously processed files now re-appear as undeveloped
                          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Just to clarify-

The procedure suggested by Paige does NOT involve  "exporting the photos"  (or importing photos)

He is talking about merging the catalog files by the menu item "Export to another catalog" and 'Import from another catalog"

Post again with more questions if you are unsure.

• 10. Re: Previously processed files now re-appear as undeveloped
                            jamesr31895922 Level 1

DJ paige

Thanks for your suggestion, but it turned out to be a nightmare.

I exported the files I wanted as a catalog, deleted them in my current catalog, and then imported them into the current catalog.

This resulted in a catalog within a catalog. So I tried to reorganize the folders to yield just one catalog. Then all the folders were missing. So I tried to find and assign the folders, and this caused all the individual files to be missing. At that point I decided it wasn’t worth finding and re-assigning all the individual files.

What a nightmare.

Fortunately, I backed up everything on a separate drive. I’ve decided the only systematic way to do this is to re-process all the files that I lost. This will probably take every night for a week, but it’s the only straight forward way to get a single catalog organized according to my file structure on the disk.

Again, thanks for your suggestion.

• 11. Re: Previously processed files now re-appear as undeveloped
                              jamesr31895922 Level 1

Wow, your tip just arrived in time.

I tried Paige’s suggestion and it was a nightmare. I ended up with a catalog within a catalog with files all over the place. I had just decided to give up.

Let me try to merge them. Might not get to it tonight because I’m copying everything to a second hard drive which may take another hour.

I really appreciate your follow up!

• 12. Re: Previously processed files now re-appear as undeveloped
                                dj_paige Level 9

Well, no, if you exported photos and imported photos, you have done the exact wrong thing.

The instructions I gave were extremely specific, I said to use the command File->Export as Catalog; and then File-> Import from Another Catalog (plus a few other details), it works great if you did it right.

There's no such thing as a catalog within a catalog. Can you explain this further?

• 13. Re: Previously processed files now re-appear as undeveloped
                                  jamesr31895922 Level 1

Thanks for your comments.

The first time around I did export and import as catalog. This resulted in a folder on my hard drive within the folder containing my raw files, and this folder  contained another catalog file and subfolders. That is what I meant by a catalog within a catalog. The problem was confusing folders and extra copies of raw files, and I had no idea what was being referenced and from where.

I gave it a day’s rest and came back to it with fresh eyes. I started over with a fresh clean copy of the catalog and raw files. I don’t know exactly what I did differently the second time around, but I was able to move the right folders to the right places and delete the extra catalog in a manner that resulted in one catalog.

So I think I got things re-organized by your technique. Thanks again for your help. Ultimately it saved me a lot of work.