Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange image distortion bug

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm working with indesign cc 2017 and lately my images in indesign are acting strange (see picture below). If the picture is being moved it will change back to the original image. But after some time it changes back to the distort image. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks

Schermafbeelding 2016-11-09 om 08.40.12.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

When this happens, since it's a GPU bug, instead of quitting out of the GPU (in Preferences), you can just choose View > Preview on CPU. The shortcut is Shift-E, which toggles between GPU and CPU. I use this shortcut if I see a display anomaly to test if it's GPU related.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jesse

On which OS are you working? Win or Mac? And, also mention the version.

Regards

Anasuiya Gupta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm working on Mac, version 2017.0, build 12.0.0.81

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jesse

Please answer the following questions:

1. Is it an iMac or a Macbook? Do you have GPU in InDesign enabled?

2. Is it with a specofic file or with every image? If with a specific file, then please email that as a package to anasgupt@adobe.com

3. Is the issue seen with only images or graphics or a particular format like eps, jpeg, pdf, etc?

Regards

Anasuiya Gupta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anasuiya,

I'm having the same issue with random images in documents distorting. So far I've only run into it with JPG files, but because it happens randomly I'm not able to test to see if it also happens with EPS, PDF, etc. Your question about having GPU enabled caught my eye. I've turned it off and found that it solved the issue on one of my documents. (I haven't tried the others yet.) Just for kicks, I'll give you the details of the issue I've been having in case it is different or helps someone else solve their problem.

Because I've just updated to CC 2017 recently, I'm still opening many files created in the previous version of CC. The image distortions are mainly happening in those files. I'm not sure if I can yet point to a time when they've definitely happened in a newly created document. However, I do know for sure that it has happened in multiple files with multiple images. I often work off of a server, but have tried re-saving the troublesome images locally to see if that solves the problem and it seems to make a difference initially and then the images eventually re-distort. An important note: when exporting to PDF or JPG for final output, the distortion doesn't show. The output version appears to be fine. (Which is good, but it makes designing very challenging!)

Specs:
iMac Retina, late 2014 model, running 10.10.5
CC 2017.0 Release, 12.0.0.81 Build, GPU enabled (usually)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Leslie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem, it started immediately after updating to CC 2017.

I've noticed if you toggle the Display Performance between Typical and High Quality you can invoke the problem on some images. I have also noticed that some images that were having this issue no longer do. It's almost like the images needed to be re-rendered after the update.

I was working on a big 100 page document which after conversion had lots of redraw issues, now it seems to be much better. So I'm hopeful any new documents will render correctly from the start. Maybe Adobe can offer some advice on if images are being re-rendered after the update?

I have the GPU enabled and I'm using the following Mac:

OS 10.11.6

Adobe InDesign CC 2017.0 (12.0.0.81)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leslie and David

It seems that while GPU rendering is enabled in InDesign, the distortion of images is taking place in some heavy documents.

Is it possible for you to share such files with us in which you saw the issue at anasgupt@adobe.com. This is help us identify the cause for the problem and test it out with documents that already have this issue.

Regards

Anasuiya Gupta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this on my own computer and on at least a dozen classroom computers—so both Macs and Windows. One file that comes to mind is the Classroom in a Book lesson on color. It's a one-page document, and is not what I would call a "heavy" document.

I'll send it to you, Anasuiya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When this happens, since it's a GPU bug, instead of quitting out of the GPU (in Preferences), you can just choose View > Preview on CPU. The shortcut is Shift-E, which toggles between GPU and CPU. I use this shortcut if I see a display anomaly to test if it's GPU related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Latest versions of everything. 

The previews are fine on Typical Display, but as soon as I move to High Quality Display it's an issue.

It's particularly bad in a new ground up 12 page document I'm working on at the moment.

I often 'save as' to overwrite, I've re-saved images in photoshop also.

Please help. It's very hard to work with it like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue as well, for some time now actually. Retina iMac with AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB Switching to CPU Preview or resizing the image in question within it's box will correct this. Very annoying, would love a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've posted this elsewhere but might help someone:

Also experiencing the same issue as above - images sometimes randomly distort and get 'squished'. Export is fine though. Seemed to fix when right clicking the image and selecting High Quality Display.

Also you might find that if you go to view>display performance you might have 'Allow Object-Level Display Settings' ticked. This would

presumably override the global display settings making some images appear more pixelated than Guybrush Threepwood's todger.

For good measure I selected Clear Object-Level Display settings.

These are useful settings if you are working on a large document or a particularly huge image is slowing you down because you would be able to set that single image to low quality whilst keeping the rest high quality. However, there seems to be a bit of a bug (?) in CC where these settings are automatically switching and causing confusion. And really, I've seen low res images in my time but these look like 8-bit toilet scrapings.

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 11.32.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helpful post and entertaining. '8-bit toilet scrapings'!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst my fix worked it seems that the GPU bug is the real problem so switching to CPU (Shift-E) as stated above is a faster solution. Adobe have sad they are fixing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elizabeth, my work-around is to select the picture and tap the right arrow key followed by the left arrow key. That seems to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this from time to time in very light documents. I just assumed it's because my OS is way out of date (or that I had been drinking without realizing it)! Figured it was a re-draw/GPU issue. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, it appears that GPU-Acceleration, a newer feature, is not ready for prime-time. Go to Preferences and switch it off altogether, and the problem will go away. InDesign will still operate acceptably quickly.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, now it looks fine after switching off the GPU-Acceleration,

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, nothing more to add except that I'm also using an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to preferences and un-check "GPU-Acceleration", it'll fix it until Adobe updates this feature to become more stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and often too with text boxes that appear to be a solid colour. If I nudge them up or down then they redraw. I'll try the GPU off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version, Peggy Sue? Release 2018 has come out since this question about 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still using ID cc2017 - I'm waiting a bit before I upgrade.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

The other problem I have had, is a slow redraw. So when I move a block of text, it moves, but the image of where it was remains. I'll see if I can replicate it and post an image in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh my goodness. Hours lost and Adobe support helped me figure it out. I was using the cursor arrow on the right (grey) instead of on the left (black). Whoops!

[All caps "shouting" converted to proper case by moderator.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines