• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text variable / running header question

Engaged ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I am laying out a series of books which repeat text on the page as a helpful sidebar next to it. Previously I laid these out manually, by copying the relevant text and pasting it into the sidebar and changing it into a new style. Time-consuming, and a pain in the backside when the text was altered, as I'd have to cut-paste every sidebar frame onto the new page. So after using some simple running headers effectively elsewhere I began to play with the idea of using character styles to automatically populate the sidebar. I got it to work but with one problem - the spacing in the sidebar text is wrong, almost as if the leading is zero (which it isn't)...

Variable example.jpg

Here is the variable in question...

Variable example 2.jpg

And here is the desired outcome. You can see the character style I've used in the grey text at the end of the first paragraph.

Variable example CORRECT.jpg

Many thanks for any suggestions on how to get that text to space correctly. It's almost as if it can only be on one line, as that's what it's tried to do.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What you only need is to apply a condition to the text you want to see into the sidebar!

After, play a script! [ … that won't use a variable, acting as a single char! ]

(^/) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds perfect but I've never applied a condition before... what do I do? And where can I grab the script to do this? Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need for a script. Simply make a new condition, select some text, and apply the condition.

But honestly, I'm not sure how a condition would help you. Conditions let you selectively show and hide text. But I think a better solution would be a plugin. Power Headers by in-Tools. It has a dizzying number of features, bet here are the two that I think will solve your problem.

• Flexible Source Styles: Power Headers includes an option to base headers on paragraph style, character style, or both (a character style within a specific paragraph style).
  • Text Composition:Power Headers keeps the headers as live text, the text is composed by InDesign’s standard text composer. Variables on the other hand are treated as a single character and cannot break across lines. With Power Headers you can create multiple line headers with ease! Additionally, since the headers are simple text, nested styles work as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kelly,

Not truly sure we use Conditions in the same way!

… and, here, it's not matter of headers, just parts of text highlighted on the page!

Sidebar - YouTube

(^/) 

[script not fro free!]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is very cool!

I’ve never used conditional text in that way. Very clever!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines