Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CPVC demonstration won't load or play

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recorded a short cpvc video of the screen while demo-ing an application.

It plays perfectly in Preview, both right after saving, as a cpvc file, and after loading into the cptx project. In Preview it looks great..

When I publish the project, the demo does not load. I just get the endlessly spinning wheel.

I'm using a 30 day trial of Captivate 9 on a Windows 10 machine with lots of capacity.

What is wrong here? What can I do to get it to load and play?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you upload to a LMS or a webserver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I just want to play it from my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Output to SWF or to HTML5? If it is the first option, did you add the folder with the course to Flash trusted locations?

Best experience is always from a webserver, you can install a webserver on your system. How did you launch the course after publishing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that it? Do I need a webserver? I avoid Flash because some browsers are ending support. So I publish as HTML5. Then, can I just open the .html file? OR do I need to put it up to a webserver?Thanks for your support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Especially for HTML5 output it is always recommended to upload to a webserver or to a LMS (if you created a SCO). You can try playing it locally (launching the index.html file) but some features do not work. Personally I never had issues with a cpvc-slide playing it locally. It depends also on the browser used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want it to play on my computer. I have not downloaded a Webserver. I would be fine with the Flash version. I am using a free demo of Captivate 9.I have tried using Chrome, FireFox, MS Internet Explorer and MS Edge. No good. The project goes well until the demo, which never seems to load. Thanks for looking into this for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That cpvc-slide publishes to a MP4 video and it has to load. Is that a very large file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone close the loop on this question?  I'm having the same issue.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP never came back to close this thread. It is not locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, i can't get my .cpvc file to play after inserting it into .cptx timeline using the INSERT>CPVC function from the ribbon, and previewing as a HTML5.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DId you upload to a webserver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I was hoping in one year's time the workflow would've been ironed out.   Why can't i just import, build, export, and play just like every other linear editing program in the world.  k-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because this is not a 'linear editing program', sorry.  There are several reasons why the output only will have full functionality when it is deployed the way it will be done really, either on a webserver or a LMS. Thanks to the way HTML5 is not a real standard but each browser supports it in a different way. It was much easier to have a good Preview when only SWF output (which was standardized and controlled by one company) existed.  Other reason: Captivate output has to be deployed, it is not like a text document that you can transfer in many ways. Don't shoot at the pianist, in this case Captivate, when the reasons are elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if i'm following you correctly, I cannot build a timeline containing text slides and cpvc slides, output it to any of the following extensions .mp4/SWF/HTML5 and watch the file unless it's posted/hosted on a html webpage?

I need to crack the code on this.  I'm getting ready to build about 20 demo videos and I need to get the workflow down so that in the end they'll be usable.

Thank you

k-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reading and applying these changes to both the browser settings and adobe flash settings got me over the wall on this.

follow these:  Unable to view SWF content

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I take it this post is still open. I'm also having the same problem, even after publishing using every option there is to a web server.

Played separately, the .cptx project and the .cpvc demos play perfectly. Pull the .cpvc slide into the .cptx project and the playback hangs on the first frame and I get that spinning wheel in a black box. This goes on for the length of the demo slide, then advances to the next. It just doesn't play.

Anybody found a way around this?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do both projects have the same resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lilybiri,

Yes, both are 1280 x 720.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I figured I'll just insert a video demo slide instead of importing a .cpvc project into my .cptx. Problem solved, right? Nope. Just different problems. First off, the preview is suddenly haywire. Whereas the video demo slide plays fine by itself, when the preview gets to it, I get screens full of garbage. Or, Captivate just shuts down completely and any changes are lost. The latter seems to be happening more and more.

Any advice? My deadline to deliver this project is approaching quickly and I'm losing ground.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many megabytes does this video end up being?

If you are just testing this by trying to run it locally, have you tried testing by uploading to a web server or LMS yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rod,

Thanks for your response. The project (yet unfinished) is only about 53,069 KB. I did try uploading it to a web server and the result is what I’d described in my original post—the video plays fine up until it hits the video demo slide, then, it just sits on the first frame with the spinning Flash logo for the duration of the slide, then advances to the next (non-video demo) slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a MAC or PC?

If MAC, have you updated it to the latest minor version of Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a Dell laptop PC.

Because Captivate was purchased through my company, I don’t have any way to upgrade.

Thanks,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what specific major and minor version of Captivate are you on? (You will not have to pay for update patches, only for upgrading to a newer major version.  Your issue might be resolved with a patch for that version.  That's why I am asking.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources