• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Write a file from a BC Admin App to another BC site

Engaged ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From within a BC Admin App on one site, is it possible to write a file (let's say a .json file) to another BC site's file structure?

Can the 'server to server service' do this?

Or in reverse, can one BC Admin App request data (or a .json file) from another BC site?

On a similar note: can module_json be authenticated to work across different domains?

TOPICS
Developer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Yes it is possible to make that happen, however there is a fair amount of work to make that happen.

2. Yes, that is a lot easier and it is just a one way pull request.

3. That I am not sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With regards to point 3 -  I had asked this question to the community previously on stack re using module_json.. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31175678/can-i-use-external-json-weather-data-in-business-catalys...

Can I use External JSON weather data in business catalyst and use with liquid? - Stack Overflow

Doesn't look like it will ever ingest an external file. At least at this rate. I tried and kept hitting the "No input data found".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Shane.

So would there be any particular BC documentation you'd point me to regarding 1. and/or 2.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about a BC site (admin app) connecting directly to another BC site - no third party server in between.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need an external server for both options 1 and 2. As you need to authetnicate yoruself to the other BC site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah right.

So you can't authenticate from within a BC environment?

So it's impossible for one BC site to talk to another BC site directly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you can't authenticate from within BC (that I know of), which is a YES to your second question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Thanks for sharing your expertise Shane.

Looks like I'll have to look into using iFrames... errgh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There seems to be some unclear stuff in this thread:

You can not do what you said through Open Platform and if you can it is a security hole.

Your not supposed to be even write in other Apps, let alone to another site through open platform.

From a BC App you have used the Open Platform/API to write to another site?

- You need an authorisation token which is only formed from being logged into the admin, so you wont be able to get that

- Open Platform is sandboxed under https along with the admin and going forward all admins will by default be https as well - You will have cross domain authority

You would only be able to do this with an external server be it node.js, .NET, PHP where you have FTP access and run requests to update. You can have your app in BC to make a request to your external service to write a file on another site but not directly through the app.

Important elements to avoid people trying stuff based on what is mentioned here and realise it wont work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines