6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2016 11:15 AM by andrewm66091946

Lightroom queries

andrewm66091946

I have lightroom updated to 6.7. It is the desktop-only program not purchased as part of CC.

1) Do I have the latest version

2) I do not see how to do a program-only upgrade when new updates arrive. Am I wrong? If so how do I purchase the desktop only upgrades, and if I am right, well Adobe have lost my money, I shall stick with the current version!

• 1. Re: Lightroom queries
          dj_paige Level 9
          1. Yes, as of today
          2. You don't have to purchase desktop updates as long as Lightroom 6 is the current version. The updates can be performed via the Help menu in Lightroom. When Lightroom 7 comes out, you and everyone else who owns Lightroom 6 will have to pay to upgrade.
          • 2. Re: Lightroom queries
            Mizzou95 Level 1

It was my understanding, and I could be totally wrong about this, that Lightroom 6.xx was going to be the last non-CC version of Lightroom, so presumably if/when Adobe revises the program enough that it would be considered Lightroom 7 it won't be available as a stand-alone product, but only as a CC product. (Which might explain why Lightroom was one of the few programs that didn't upgrade to the 2017 moniker recently)

• 3. Re: Lightroom queries
              dj_paige Level 9

Mizzou95 wrote:

It was my understanding, and I could be totally wrong about this, that Lightroom 6.xx was going to be the last non-CC version of Lightroom

Adobe has never said that.

so presumably if/when Adobe revises the program enough that it would be considered Lightroom 7 it won't be available as a stand-alone product, but only as a CC product.

Adobe has never said that. There could very well be a Lightroom 7 standalone.

The fact is that no one knows outside of Adobe, and they haven't said. So, you can pay your money and take your chances, or not. It's up to you.

(Which might explain why Lightroom was one of the few programs that didn't upgrade to the 2017 moniker recently)

When Adobe first introduced Lightroom CC, simultaneously with the release of Lightroom 5.4, they stated that Lightroom would remain a standalone product "for the foreseeable future", whatever that meant. And people on the Internet immediately began shrieking that there would never be a Lightroom 6 standalone. They came to this conclusion not by any words that Adobe said, they came to the opposite conclusion of Adobe's words, by reading the tea-leaves about how Adobe was marketing and licensing other products, JUST AS YOU ARE DOING NOW. You know what? These people were 100% wrong, there was a Lightroom 6 standalone. Now, some of these same people are again making their useless predictions based on no data, and based on reading the tea-leaves about how Adobe was marketing and licensing other products. So why should we believe them now? I don't believe them. They might be right or they might be wrong, I don't know, no one outside of Adobe knows, but these predictions by people on the Internet reading the tea leaves have no credibility.

• 4. Re: Lightroom queries
                Mizzou95 Level 1

This probably sums up the argument in less than 2 minutes from someone who is not an Adobe employee but is about as close to their product development as you can get without being an Adobe employee.

http://lightroomkillertips.com/dont-buy-wrong-version-lightroom/

• 5. Re: Lightroom queries
                  dj_paige Level 9

Yes, I understand why you say that. However, I no longer read anything Mr. Kelby has to say, I have found him to be wrong on so many issues. (Now, he may be right on this one, I don't know, but he's just not worth my time)

• 6. Re: Lightroom queries
                    andrewm66091946 Level 1

Well question 1) is answered - and by the way I have been updating for the last year, just wasn't sure I would continue to get updates.

2) Yes - answered I guess, as in "nobody knows" but as I can still keep v6 up to date, it doesn't matter for now.

I watched the video mentioned above and disagree - if you always want something new then go with CC, but if Lightroom works for you why change? Buy what you will actually use and keep it updated. That is plenty for me.