4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2016 5:45 PM by dwightrph@gmail.com

Install LR on new Computer

dwightrph@gmail.com Level 1

I have LR 2.0 disk now worthless but the old computer has updated to LR 5.7.1

on a 32 bit W7 I am moving to W7 64 bit I have copied MyPictures folder that

contains

LR 5 Catalog preview lrdata

LR 5 Catalog smart preview lfdata

LR Settings

and all my photos

NO BACKUP FILES

I have a Camera Raw folder

I have a Export from LR folder (not necessary but will come along for the RIDE)

This question my seem trite but DO I install LR and NOT OPEN IT first

OR do I copy these files to the correct folders on the new computer

THEN install LR

My concern is will LR over write the arbitrary files it creates

OR will it be happy to find the old data and not delete or create duplicate files(1)

• 1. Re: Install LR on new Computer
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If all of those folders and files are arranged the same way the were arranged on the old computer then all you should have to do is install Lightroom 5.7 and go to work. Why do you have a camera raw folder?

• 2. Re: Install LR on new Computer

Well some how I downloaded LR 2.7 by mistake so I deleted it perhaps that is where Camera Raw folder came from

So I can install all my folders in the correct location then INSTALL LR 5.7

• 3. Re: Install LR on new Computer
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have put all of your folders in the same folder structure under Pictures so that they are arranged exactly the same as they were on the old computer, then installing Lightroom is all that should be necessary. You might want to take a look at these instructions  for some further insight:

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Install LR on new Computer

Thanks HI HO it is off to folder installation I GO

It works like a charm if you place all your folders that are associated with LR from the old system

in the same folder location on the new system ( went from 32 bit to 64 bit )

best to look at C:\User\UserName\MyDocuments\MyPictures  (I had my LR Catalog Preview lrdat) files in that folder location

next place to look is C:\User\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom (copy this one over)

I keep a separate folder for exporting just get the path and move that folder over

Then download LR 5.7.1 put the file in a folder called MyBackUP and double click

When you start this process be sure to have your Serial Number

I started with LR 2.0 and when I registered I was given a new SN write it down

I tried to use the old SN and it was declined found the new one and all worked just great