7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2008 7:39 PM by Jeepbull

Director or Flash?

spinachgrower
      I would really appreciate guidence on this issue.

This new project involves creating an interactive children's alphabet training CD.
      I could totally do it in Flash. It will have some video and some games/quizzes with interactive buttons prompting the child to click and advance to view further videos and games.
      Somehow I get the feeling that Director is the appropriate tool for this. My concerns are: I want it to be user friendly in terms of popping it into a CD or DVD drive with as little installation prompts as possible. Also is director easy enough to learn for someone quite proficient in Flash, Dreamweaver and other basic Adobe programs? I am really not in the mood of learning a whole new thing.
        • 1. Re: Director or Flash?
          Level 7
          > Also is director
          > easy enough to learn for someone quite proficient in Flash, Dreamweaver and
          > other basic Adobe programs?

/I/ don't think so, but I say that because as a Director developer who
          has tried to pick up Flash since v4 I *still* find it confusing. And
          every now and then a capable Flash developer pops up on a forum or list
          and has a long list of complaints about why Director's metaphor is so
          completely wrong...
          • 2. Re: Director or Flash?
            Patch
            For what it is worth, I found Director much easier to get my head around, but if you can do it in flash, and you already have the skills, then that would probably be the way I would do it...

Patch
            • 3. Re: Director or Flash?
              mziskandar Level 1
              Hi..

My opinion.

If you familiar with Flash then, use Flash. Numbers of Flash users/developer are much more bigger. So, you may get more help & example on the net.

Unless you are going to develop web based - hardware accelerated real time - easy deployment - willing to dig outdated resource - apps - Director is the best. (Directer is using DX9 engine which only capable of doing DX8 stuff - Don't get too excited!)

For me, before I decide what to use, I will image whats the future contents like. Anyway, deciding what tools to use is not as crucial as nowadays almost everything can be integrated.

So, I vote for Flash + AS3. Why? because its new (so that I can learn new things) and I don't think its major in 3D.

Thank you.
              • 4. Re: Director or Flash?
                DAVID NAJAR Level 1
                Hi,

I think you can use both of them, Director and Flash are great tools and together make a great development environment. Director works nicely on desktop applications and 3D, just to name a few, and Flash works fine with lightweight content. Usually Flash developer use Director like an application wrapper instead Zinc or other Flash solution for desktop applications. But if you spend some time to learn lingo you’ll have a strong arsenal under your belt to develop almost any project you imagine successfully.

I use Director and Flash together on 95% of my work, from hi impact real-time 3D projects, data basing, administrative tools, web apps, video games to e-learning, business presentations, encapsulated learning objects and so on.
                • 5. Re: Director or Flash?
                  ytlevine Level 1
                  David:
                  Just out of curiosity, as of now I only kow Director, and even that, I am still learning.
                  Since you use both Director and Flash, can you give me an idea of whree you would use Flash over Director (besodes for something going up on the web)?
                  Also, is it worth it to learn Flash if most of my projects fit (I think) into what Director is used for?
                  Thanks.
                  • 6. Director or Flash?
                    DAVID NAJAR Level 1
                    quote:

Originally posted by: ytlevine
                    David:
                    Just out of curiosity, as of now I only kow Director, and even that, I am still learning.
                    Since you use both Director and Flash, can you give me an idea of whree you would use Flash over Director (besodes for something going up on the web)?
                    Also, is it worth it to learn Flash if most of my projects fit (I think) into what Director is used for?
                    Thanks.

Hi ytlevine,

First, my main development tool is Director, I can do almost any day project with it.

Unfortunately eight years ago the number of Flash users grows up a lot, and most of the Director’s developers I knew emigrate to Flash. Flash was cheaper than Director, great solution for the Web bang, bigger community and resources, strong product pushing from Macromedia (and now Adobe), amazing Web plug-in penetration, and so on. But never better than forgotten and loved Director. The clients asked for Flash projects (usually cheapers than Director’s ones by hi number of Flash developers) and then was so difficult to sell a Director project.

Ok, this crappy intro is just for explain me better. Now when I develop a project work with many Flash designers and ActionScript (AS2) programmers whose write resources or components (2d animations, graphics, networking, xml, user interface, live video & audio, and so on) and then I integrate those in a Director framework with all the possibilities of both tools (Director and Flash) being able to deliver the final product on Web, Intranets, standalone application, CD-ROM or DVD, and combine lots of resources and technologies (QuickTime, AVI, FLV, PDF, PHP,SQL,Virtual reality hardware like eMagin Z800, Real-time 3D, DVD playback, File System management, FTP, ASP, Printers, MIDI, Real Audio & Video, Commercial Applications, just to name a few )

The encapsulation feature of Flash (too many resources, timelines and functions inside one SFW file) is great to work on a modular ambient because Director works with external SWF files much better than DCR files, then any number of Director and Flash developers can work together on the same project for better, faster, and neater development.

Sometimes I prefer to use Flash XML objects and Math functions on some circumstances works better than Director counterpart. I use lots of Flash components, standards ( flv, tree, numeric steeper, datagrid, so on) and 3rd party ones in Director for speed dummys and clients approval.

I work with Director since 1993 (aka Macromind Director 3) and after all years my conclusion is not participate in the war Director-Flash of which is better instead use both and get the best of two worlds!!! (The same happens to me in the war MacOs-Windows). More tools on your kit, more and better projects, and more profit!!!

I hope this info helps you.

Have a nice day.

• 7. Re: Director or Flash?
                      Jeepbull
                      oh very long discuss