Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CRITICAL Nvidia card bug

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe,

my last hope vanished after Illustrator CC 2017 was released. I was hoping, that 2017 version finally fix annoying slow down whole PC bug with nvidia graphic cards. Please can someone from Adobe confirm, that they know about the bug and working on fix? Lots of people suffer from this bug (probably every user with nvidia card).

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And please dont tell us to recreate preference file, dont tell us OOBE crap, dont tell anything about system problem atd.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE PROBLEM IS JUST IN ILLUSTRATOR VS NVIDIA GRAPHIC CARD (DRIVERS/MEMORY LEAK ETC.)

I tried several PC with different nvidia graphic card (from GTX 660 to 1080) all PC have same problem. Whole system is absolutly unusable after 15/30 minutes of work. Even if you create a blank document and moving with mouse in open menus "file, edit, object rtc." fast from left to right after several minutes whole system is getting slugish and unresponsive. Turn off GPU acceleration doesnt help. Only working solution is to enable integrated CPU graphic – which is not good solution.

So Adobe tell us, that you know about the problem and working on fix or cooperate with nvidia engineers. You provide software for professionals and have critical bug with NO.1 graphic card manufacturer for several years. HOW IT IS EVEN POSSIBLE!!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Fix for this issue is now available with Illustrator 2017.1.0 update. This update is available in Creative Cloud. Request users with NVidia GPU to update to this release.

-Rama

Illustrator Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 213 Replies 213
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have the same problem. Adobe Illustrator is really slow and I can't even use Premiere pro for the same reasons. If i turn on my CPU graphic card it works but not with my NVDIA one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem. I have had this over several program versions and card models. Currently I am on Windows 10 Home, Illustrator CC 2017 and use an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970.

If the GPU is in use, the program slows down to a crawl after a few minutes. Once it is deactivated, Illustraotr runs as normal.

I have tried the usual gauntlet of disabling all plugin-ins, cleaning, uninstalling, re-installing. This occurs even on a naked and fresh install.

If anyone could provide a fix, that would be swell. If additional data is needed, I'll be happy to provide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be worth mentioning: having other Apps open, like Photoshop or InDesign exacerbates the problem. Photoshop being the worst offender here. 5 sec delay on any input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday, I have changed a setting in my driver. I have had Illustrator running for 18h non-stop since, and I do not notice any slow-down, so if you could please check your driver and try whether this helps on your end, too, we might be able to lay this affair to rest once and for all:

ScreenClip [3].png

1. Open the Nvidia Control Panel. (I cannot find it under apps, but typing Nvidia into my startup menu yields it readily)
  2. Go to Manage 3D-Settings in the left-hand tab
  3. Go to Power Management Mode on the right side. The default should be "Optimal Power"
  4. Set it to Prefer Maximum Performance

I will keep on testing. So far it seems to be working well. And that is without un-installing anything, with all my Astute Plugins and what-not in place. Just one single switch flipped. Let me know, if this works on your end, too.

I also have posted this in the other long-standing performance issue thread. My hop is, that a few people try it and report back, with whether or not it works for them. It would make me sleep a lot easier for one thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

unfortunately this workaround doesn't work for me. I've already tested it. But thx for advice. I think it's something to do with the way how Illustrator handle showing menus (file, edit etc). The easiest way how to slow down your system is to open one of those menus and changing them by moving your mouse very quickly from one side to other. It takes only several minutes to see how the cursor become laggy and the process of showing menus is so sluggish. Even resizing windows explorer window is very laggy after that and so browser (Firefox) completion insight (suggestion) UI animation is so slow.

RAM and CPU usage is really low and GPU usage is average due to GPU-Z utility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, same outcome here. Once I started pulling out fonts from the type menu, things started to freeze up again. I may investigate along the lines of the menus, but seriously, what can a user do about those?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this useful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating did not really make illustrator CC faster, it just stopped crashing. Changing Nvidia setting to prefer maximum performance definitely makes it workable. Working with GTX1050 Ti 4GB and 6GB of hardware RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know its mega annoying, but if you turn OFF GPU acceleration does it then behave? It doesn't make a massive difference to me whether it's on or off that i notice.

this acceleration is a 'new' feature that didn't exist when I and possibly you decided to buy into the whole Creative Cloud thing, so for it not to work for you is hopefully not a deal breaker, but a new feature you just can't access currently. In a similar vein, there are tons of osX 'features' that i can't use on my mac pro because i don't have a track pad or a web camera etc, but those features do work on the hardware released by the same manufacturer at the time the features were introduced.  It would be nice if the GPU acceleration did work for you and i appreciate that its a pretty wide spread problem, hopefully it will get resolved one day... although i thought that about a lot of other missing features.... Rotate view anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue still persists in 2017. I've just resigned to not having the GPU performance features enabled (GTX 970, Win 10) and it runs fine for me. I'll try the 3D option mentioned earlier and see if that helps, but i don't feel setting it to full performance is going to make a difference as it's more likely a memory leak or something. Maybe at best this will delay the issue. Might as well overclock the card too because Illustrator seems hungry.

Do the added features of this GPU performance really help with anything on a strong machine anyway? At most I'm missing animated zoom and a little extra fidelity in thin lines when zoomed out. Guess I'll live with it until Illustrator 2018 comes out and I try again to use the feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A similar problem is in another forum:

Illustrator CC & InDesign CC slow down over time?!

I am trying with a newer GPU gtx 1060 after having problem with my GTX 970. The GTX 1060 is better in general, but slow down still occurs after a few hours, and Photoshop has crashed twice for the past 2 days of testing.

Adobe, you're really a shame to not fixing this problem. Not even getting back to those forums in any way.

I had an Adobe customer service trying to fix my computer. He took control remotely and did a lot of changes. Within the next days everything was even worst. I have to reformat my SSD and re-install everything.

I will try a few more days with the GTX 1060 and return it if things are not better. And try a Radeon, like some folks have suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm slow downs across the entire Adobe suite. Animate, After Effects, Photoshop all running far smoother when I disable my GPU.

My PC:

6 core 6800k

GTX 1060

32Gb Ram

Spent a lot of money on it and it's SLUGGISH.

I've just switched from an old mac from 2013 that used Radeon. Slower rendering but far snappier in the Adobe suite. Very disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact the same problem

please somebody help us!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has ANYONE actually reported this problem rather than sharing it in this community forum? What did Adobe say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOTHING

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They scheduled an appointment for a screen-share meeting with me, to which I replied, it would be useless, since the bug keeps creeping in over time. I then suggested to mail, when the thing occurs and THEN do a shared meeting. To this my support contact by the name of Raghuveer Singh never got back. I then recorded the normal speed of operation and the delayed one to demonstrate, but I realize this does not give the same amount of information.

Still, support did not come through for me. I currently have 3 other tickets with them. And, to their credit, these problems were acknowledged. No updates as of yet, and that is roughly 2 weeks after my initial posting.

I have installed and AMD card. This thing gives me the occasional screen-flicker and crashes Photoshop. Not ideal. Still preferable to the slowdowns. In the meantime, everyone is playing the blame game. Adobe blames the card manufacturers, for their sucky drivers, they blame Adobe or Microsoft for not adhering to standards and regardless of who you ask, no one has an interest in getting to the bottom of the problems. I am baffled by this.

As it stands, there just is no policy for gathering information on this kind of error. Sure, it smells like some kind of memory leak, but who knows? A poor guy from support? His manual says nothing about this. What is he to do?

TL/DR

Imma try the bug forum again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the transcript of my latest report:

******BUG******

Concise problem statement:

NVIDIA card GTX 970 causes system slowdown with Illustrator and other Adobe applications

Steps to reproduce bug:

1. Open Illustrator

2. Use heavily with GPU features enabled

3. Preferably do a lot of drilling through font and program menus, system will slow down. Big Time. Like: click a menu, wait 30 seconds for  it to pop out

Results: Slowdowns through the whole system, sometimes leading into crash.

Closing Illustrator will alleviate these problems.

Expected results: Stable program usage with a card on the list of compatible cards.

* If you have a need to share your file please upload your file to a file sharing service like Adobe Creative Cloud / Dropbox / WeTransfer etc and share the link on this bug report

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

N O T H I N G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been dealing with this problem since it came out CC 2015, everything is slow and desperate. When version 2017 came out I had faith that this release has corrected all those Bugs, but it continues with those same problems. Illustrator CC 2017 gets slow every time I start opening several documents to edit, the menus are slow each time I select them, if I move from left to right you notice a surprising lag. For example when selecting the color box it takes 2 seconds to appear or when trying to open a document at the same time, then start lag and lag (all this happened the same in the 2015 version).

Specs of my machine:

AMD FX 8350 Black Edition

16 GB Ram

GTX 1060 6 GB

Windows 10 A.U

The only solution that has served me since I had the problems with CC 2015, is to use the 2014 version ...

Illustrator flies like lightning, the problem is not being able to use the Mercury Performance System well as it should since in the 2015 version there is an incredible improvement, but hey, something is something. I am still staying with CC 2014 until Adobe is kind enough to care after these 2 years of complaints with these versions ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe we should all post our hardware as it is possible that we are using something in common.

Here is my list:

CPU 6700k, Gigabyte Z170-UD 5, gtx 970, 32GB Ram Ballistic Sport DDR 4, Windows 10. and a Wacom In this 3 and Continue 21UX.

I noticed a slow down when trying to use scale, rotation, mirroring while trying to position the anchor. But the problem disappears when using the mouse.

Please post your hardware too. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried a 3rd video card: Radeon RX480, 4Gb. I was hoping that switching GPU could help. But unfortunately the DVI-D was not working well with my Wacom Cintiq, I had to return it.

I also have switched motherboard this weekend, but I have not tried enough. I will then have tried almost everything with hardware, I will keep an update with this forum in the next few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.. This is been going on for almost two years now. Had to backdate my illustrator to 2014 to avoid the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that thing re-occurring?
If it does, and you have the time of course, file an Illustrator bug report here.

Illustrator Feature Request/Bug Report Form

They have contacted me about a screenshare meeting, but I am currently working in Photoshop only and the bug isn't showing. Can't believe I would be complaining about that. But they seem to be taking a genuine interest in clearing that problem up, so if you can, please help out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines