• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Lightroom has had problems reading this photo" after upload and I cannot delete

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have Lightroom 5.7.1 and I'm running it on a Mac (yosemite 10.10.5).  I just did a HUGE photo shoot today with several sessions.  I went to upload and after the first 30 or so the rest of them have the "Lightroom has had problems reading this photo" message.  I tried to delete them so I could try to redownload.  They are all in RAW.  I cannot delete them either, they simply won't.  This has never happened to me before and honestly I'm freaking out a tad as there are hundreds of photo's of my subjects I now can't access.  Please help!!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lightroom says it has problems reading a photo, that usually means that somehow the file has become corrupted. This could be a bad transfer between the camera card and the computer, or perhaps the file is corrupted on the camera card. If I were you, I'd try transferring the photos from camera card to the computer using different hardware, if possible.

I cannot delete them either, they simply won't.

What happens? What is the exact error message? Are you deleting in Lightroom or in your operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your reply.  I am actually trying to download them again directly to my hard drive.  Normally they go directly to a portable hard drive.  Hopefully it will work OK.  I do see the DNG files popping up.

As far as deleting them the message is: There are 229 files that could not be moved to the Trash folder.

I tried just doing 1 and got the same message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get the photo's directly on my hard drive (THANK GOD..LOL).  I still cannot delete the first copies though.  Anyone have any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repeating my earlier question: "Are you deleting in Lightroom or in your operating system?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wendypics6 wrote:

I was able to get the photo's directly on my hard drive (THANK GOD..LOL). I still cannot delete the first copies though. Anyone have any ideas?

What exactly do you mean by Delete? There are 3 options in LR when you select "Remove Photo (or Photos)" from the pop up right click menu or from the main menu.

1) Remove from Catalog

2) Delete from Disk

3) Cancel

Which one are you selecting?

Are you using LR to Delete/Remove these images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, trying to delete them from lightroom within lightroom (not sure how else to delete them? Is there another way?).  And I'm selecting to 'delete from disk'.

So this morning when I reopened LR and plugged in my portable hard drive everything seems fine.  At least so far.  So I've now got two copies of the photos I uploaded last night.  One to my portable hard drive and one to my computer's hard drive.  I'm NOT complaining as I thought I would have NONE..LOL!  I'm wondering if the issue may be with my portable hard drive.  Last night I shut down everything and restarted my computer and it didn't matter, but today it seems OK.  Is it possible I just 'overloaded it' by uploading so many raw images at once?  Hopefully it stays ok.  I'm going to edit the photo's on my hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be several indications of possible hardware malfunctions in your story.

I would definitely run diagnostics on the portable hard drive to see if anything turns out to indicate problems. I would make sure you have backups of all of your photos and a backup of your catalog file, on a different physical disk.

The problem is not: "I just 'overloaded it' by uploading so many raw images at once"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try selecting "Remove from the catalog" and then use the File Manager for your OS to delete the actual image file from  your drive.

Once they are removed from the catalog you can then re-import them from where you copied them to from the card. If you still have problems then those files are corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines