Exit

Star Rating not working

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All

Adobe Bridge CC 2017 running on Win10

I have been reviewing images and the Star Rating shortcuts have stopped working (ctr+1 thru ctrl+5). The labels still work (ctr+6 thru ctrl+9). I can place a start rating on an image from the menu bar, but that is a pain in the butt when reviewing hundreds of images. The ctrl+1 shortcut was working up until a week or so ago. Any ideas on whats wrong? There may have been a "fat finger" along the way but I sure could not e4xpand on that.

Is there a simple way to get this working again?

Thank you

John Munro

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Hi Labjohn,

You can try purging the cache by doing the following:

• Choose Edit > Preferences (Windows) or Bridge > Preferences (Mac OS).
  • Select the Cache panel.
  • Click Purge Cache.

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Labjohn,

You can try purging the cache by doing the following:

• Choose Edit > Preferences (Windows) or Bridge > Preferences (Mac OS).
  • Select the Cache panel.
  • Click Purge Cache.

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sahil

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I have purged the cache several times from the Tools pull down with no success. I did as you suggested from the Edit...Preferences pull down and I am still at the same situation, but Ctrl +1, +2, +3 still are not working and Ctrl +4, +5 and +0 are now working. Any further suggestions?

Thank you

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Start Adobe Bridge and immediately press Ctrl+Alt+Shift until the Reset Settings dialog box appears. Select all three options--Reset Preferences, Reset Standard Workspaces, and Purge Entire Thumbnail Cache--and then click OK.

Check if the issue persists.

Regards,

Gautam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input Gautam but the issue is not complete and you premature in closing an incident report. I just restarted to reset the preferences but ctrl+1, +2, & +3 still do not work.

John Munro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these things worked for me until I updated to the latest version of Bridge. Now the batch process function doesn't work. Does anyone know of a version of Bridge that doesn't have any major bugs that make it completely unusable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue with Adobe Bridge CC 2018 running on Win10 enterprise and purged the cache, but no change. can not rate the images!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need a lot more information to figure this out. Where are these files stored, and what format are they?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this did NOT work for me....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered this problem and found a solution as well.

The drive permissions where my files are located was marked as read-only NTFS (I'm on Mac using a Seagate external drive) 

I downloaded Seagate's Paragon driver (free for Seagate devices), restarted my computer and everything works fine now — star ratings and color labels. 

Here is the driver (https://www.seagate.com/support/software/paragon/)

Hope this helps somebody!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg this is what I've been looking for! This was such a simple fix. Thank you thank you! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should reformat a Windows drive for Mac, using NTFS is a time bomb waiting to go off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Purging the cache worked!!!!! THANK YOU!! I was goig out of my mind trying to figure it out! Rating with the simple number keys is the fastest easiest when going through hundreds of photos.  THANK YOU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about someone answering the question?

I got two possible solutions that did not work and then the issue was closed out. This is no way to treat someone who has asked for some assistance.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please reboot the machine in safe boot.

Start in Safe Boot mode for Adobe products on Mac OS X

Perform the same workflow and share your results.

Regards,

Gautam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started Win 10 in Safe Mode and launched Bridge. All of the labeling shortcuts work Ctrl+1 thru Ctrl+9 as well as Ctrl+0.

I exited Safe Mode and tried the safe in Bridge and Ctrl+1, +2, +3 do not work. All other shortcuts work.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So ctrl + 1,+2,+3 does not work in safe mode as well?

Click on Edit>preferences>labels and uncheck the option "Require the control key to apply labels and ratings" and then try to use only number key to apply ratings.

Regards,

Gautam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you misread my note: In Safe Mode ALL of the "ctrl+" shortcuts WORKED. Relaunching Bridge in regular mode the ctrl+1, +2, +3 still did not work.

Today I opened Bridge and unchecked the check box on the label tab in preferences, as you stated, and all of the shortcuts worked without the use of the ctrl key. So what is the problem with my Bridge? should I continue to leave this unchecked and work as normal?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this ever get resolved? We're having the same issues and I purged the cache, unchecked require control key", and reset Bridge, neither of which helped. Started in Safe mode, which did allow me to label and start thing. But back in regular mode, not working again. I work in a team that uses the labels and stars to help each other with photo selections, and we found that only after you open and resave a file does it allow you to label\...but it basically means that you have taken "ownership" of those ratings and no one else can change them. I'm on Windows 7 and we just upgraded from CS6 to CC 2017 in the past few weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone actually resolve the problem? This rating hasn't been working for me either. I used above suggestions and nothing. I have nearly 2000 images I have to narrow from and by menu bar this will take forever. The safe mode as you call doesn't work either. And I don't understand why in preferences, labels start from +6?? I also have constant problem with deleting images. I hope someone will answer those questions at last! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John,

Not sure if you got the answer but I just figured it out. I was working on external hdd on nearly 2000 images. My computer and Bridge were struggling with such massive amount of data. Once I copied small amount directly onto my PC, the rating is working as normal. In my case it simply was just too much data and Bridge was struggling. I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the whole point of bridge is to be able to sort through photos and eliminate those you want to use easily. My normal shoots at events are 2k. I also can't assign any star ratings to photos. What a PITA.

dana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monica, sorry to take so long to get back to you. I don't know what caused the Ctrl+number rating process to stop working but I did figure out that you don't need the control key to add the rating. Pressing 1-9 adds the stars and the colored ribbons. I originally was working on external drive with a lot of data, but I have changed my workflow because of the slowness between the external and the computer. I now do the following:

1. Initial star rating on the external drive. I do wait until all of the preview rendering is done, basically I walk away and let it do its thing.

2. Then I transfer all of the stars to and internal drive on my machine, I have 3 extra drives other than drive C:

3. I do all of my PS editing within the machine.

4. When I am done I save the finished files back to the external.

This has speeded my workflow up considerably. If I didcover one of the stared files does not meet processing standards, etc., I just delete it from the machine as it is only a copy.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem - with a very different set of circumstances, I can't apply rating or labels - but only in one folder. This particular folder only has 29 images, so I don't think that it's a cache memory issue. I tried to use the commands in a previous folder (containing 183 images) - and the commands work fine, so the problem isn't with Bridge either. The problem is only happening inside this folder.

To recap: Ratings are either hiding or have been removed from image thumbnails that I have already rated. Labels on that I had previously applied are visible, but I cannot assign new labels or ratings. This problem is only happening in a single folder, the rating/label commands work fine in every other folder.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Troy,

Can you please confirm if the files in that particular folder are not read-only (Is there a lock icon visible on the top of the thumbnails) ? Also, Is Bridge  able to perform various other actions like adding a keyword or writing some other metadata?

Thanks,

Siddharth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines