5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2016 11:34 AM by edwardc13569364

Why does Premiere 13 change frame or view size of my videos

edwardc13569364 Level 1

The video file I am working with is a "Move Clip"; the file data said the frame size is 704 X 480, and it is a standard definition video.  When I load it into Premiere 13 for editing, the video views with the right side cut off.  When opening the project in Premiere I chose standard definition which said the frame size would be 720 X 480.  When I tried publishing the edited video in standard definition it still plays with the right side cut off.  How can I stop Premiere from loosing the right side of my video?

• 1. Re: Why does Premiere 13 change frame or view size of my videos
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This sounds like an MOD file from a JVC camcorder. Is it?

This has been an  ongoing issue. The problem is that those MODs don't use any standard aspect ratios or pixel ratios. As you know, standard definition video is 720x480 with either a .9 or .12 aspect ratio, depending on whether it's 4:3 or 16:9.

And the challenge is that your MODs are 704x480. On the Community Forum at Muvipix.com, we struggled for quite a while to conform those files to any project standards. I'm not sure what the camcorder manufacturer was thinking, but that aspect ratio makes working with that footage a real bear!

You can fight with this if you want. But the conclusion we reached is that it's much easier to spend $150 on a refurbished Canon AVCHD camcorder, which provides footage that feeds beautifully into Premiere Elements. Either that or buy a lot of aspirin.

• 2. Re: Why does Premiere 13 change frame or view size of my videos
            edwardc13569364 Level 1

Thanks Steve,  The camera is a Panasonic SDR-H90P/PC.  The manual list the spec as picture size 640 X 480 (4:3), and the compression as MPEG-2; these are saved as a MOD file on the computer as 704 X 480.  I also have some MOVE CLIP files that are also 704 X 680.  I have a new HD camera, but I have a lot of older videos that I wanted to edit.  Is there no way to edit these?

• 3. Re: Why does Premiere 13 change frame or view size of my videos
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would not recommend trying to edit 704x480 video in Premiere Elements. I think you'll find it very frustrating.

• 4. Re: Why does Premiere 13 change frame or view size of my videos
                JeffWhoWouldPreferPhone Level 1

I'm not certain the answer actually answers the question. I have had few troubles with these files until this week when, suddenly, Adobe Premiere started sporadically altering the frame of certain clips. Why are these files creating problems when they did not in the past? Is there no remedy other than, "use a different camcorder"?

• 5. Re: Why does Premiere 13 change frame or view size of my videos
                  edwardc13569364 Level 1

I agree with you.  But, the question was answered for me; don't use Adobe for these older video formats.  On my own I found that if I load the 704 X 480 file in my 2010 Creator program and save it as "same as original", it will open in PrE 13 and work fine.  I than discovered that PrE 11 (which I also have) has no problems with these files, so I will have to use PrE 11 for my old videos.  So far the two questions I posted got responses from the ACP staff that said very well that what I wanted to do will not work in PrE 13, but I got very little help on how to make it work.  I would think the ACP staff should have known that PrE 11 would handle the 704 x 480 files.  They could have solved my problem in one sentence - use PrE 11 or earlier if you have it.  Thankfully others have given good suggestions.