Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D camera tracker creates enormous 3D space

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I got some greenscreen footage with a mobile camera and am supposed to key and track it.

There are quite a lot of tracking marker both in the front as well as on the back of the greenscreen.

When I use the 3D camera tracker and after analysis e.g. create a text + camera, The camera has a movement of about 10000px, where it moved like maybe 3 meters and the text that I pinned to the background is around 100000px away, where it have been around 5-10 meters on the set.

If I understand it right I would need to put my 3D set (a very simple one, I created in AE) to the same Z of 100000px. That's quite unconvenient.

How can I fix that scaling?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Martin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Try this:

1. Add a 3d null

2. Parent the camera to the null

3. Scale the null to your liking. Maybe 0.1%

4. Delete the null

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I fix that scaling?

Not really. Unfortunately the AE tracker can't be calibrated and nay solution it calculates is arbitrary and bears no relation to any realworld measurements. Sometimes the resulting scene is too big, sometimes too small, sometimes just right. Of course you can multiply the keyframe values by applying an expression like value*0.1 or similar, but you still have to put up with figuring out the correct camera settings to compensate for the scaling, which actually is the tricky part.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

1. Add a 3d null

2. Parent the camera to the null

3. Scale the null to your liking. Maybe 0.1%

4. Delete the null

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your helpful answers.

Scaling the camera with a Null did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would go about this project a little differently. First, remove any lens distortion - the most likely cause of huge 3D spaces. Second, make sure you set an origin and ground plane. Third, create two or three 3D solids in key locations and check for accuracy. I haven't seen the shot but every time I end up with a huge 3D space created and followed these steps things were more accurate and the track was better. AE's calculated camera has Zero lens distortion so unless you are shooting with really good glass on a pro camera you're probably running into this problem and the edges are going to have a hard time staying stuck to the video. GO Pro Studio has an excellent distortion correction tool available. For my feature film work I try and always get some test footage from the lenses or look up a distortion profile for them before doing any serious compositing that has to extent to the edges of the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines