1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 15, 2016 8:24 AM by dj_paige

Libraries on external drive

andres.jimenez

Hello everybody,

In order to keep a small library online to speed up processing, I use to move yearly or so, photos from my internal drive to an external one.

That external library is now about 200 Go. And whenever I turn on that drive and Lightroom is up, it takes hours to load everything.

I was thinking to split up that huge library in small ones, and I would like to be able to decide wich library I load or not in Lightroom.

Is there any way to achieve that ?

THX for your help.

AJ

• 1. Re: Libraries on external drive
          dj_paige Level 9

That external library is now about 200 Go. And whenever I turn on that drive and Lightroom is up, it takes hours to load everything.

I don't understand exactly what is taking hours. Exactly what step or function in Lightroom or your operating system are you talking about? Whatever you mean, there is nothing in Lightroom that should take hours. This doesn't sound right and it sounds to me like there is some hardware problem.

I was thinking to split up that huge library in small ones, and I would like to be able to decide wich library I load or not in Lightroom.

This is an incredibly poor solution. The better solution is to fix whatever is taking so long.