7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2008 7:11 AM by Newsgroup_User

This HAS to work... I'm going wacky

chopTheWood Level 1
      I have some text in the dynamic field "text_txt"
      which is within the movieclip "text_mc"
      I set the _alpha of text_mc to zero.

If I "play" the movie, no text is visible

If I "test movie" the text is still visible? I've done this before a hundred times so what am I missing this time. I swear I'm not on mushrooms!
        • 1. Re: This HAS to work... I'm going wacky
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Try to commit this to memory... Dynamic textfields need to have the text embedded in order to play with them.
          • 2. Re: This HAS to work... I'm going wacky
            Level 7
            > Try to commit this to memory... Dynamic textfields need to
            > have the text embedded in order to play with them.

This may change with future releases of Flash Player (see Justin Everett
            Church's presentation here ...

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/demos/videos/text.html

...) but yes, in general (at present), dynamic text fields need to have font
            outlines embedded. Not for simple, square-on display, but for rotations,
            certain translations (skew, etc.), and for alpha transparency effects.

David Stiller
            Co-author, Foundation Flash CS4 for Designers
            http://tinyurl.com/5j55cv
            "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 3. Re: This HAS to work... I'm going wacky
              chopTheWood Level 1
              Dynamic textfields need to have the text embedded in order to play with them.

okay, I think I've got it...

Dynamic textfields need to have the text embedded ...
              Dynamic textfields need to ...
              Dynamic ...
              thanks
              • 4. This HAS to work... I'm going wacky
                I'm not sure that video was directly addressing this situation (his mention of using text components), but if it is going to also apply to regular textfields, it will be a benefit to many new users and a load reduction (relief) to those of us can usually tell by a posting title/description alone that the solution will involve telling them to embed the font..
                • 5. Re: This HAS to work... I'm going wacky
                  Level 7
                  NedWebs,

> I'm not sure that video was directly addressing this situation
                  > (his mention of using text components), but if it is going to
                  > also apply to regular textfields, it will be an unknown benefit
                  > to many users

Agreed. I believe this new stuff is dependent on the improved text
                  rendering engine in Flash Player 10 (specifically, 10.0.12.36, it looks
                  like). As far as I understand it, this component -- available for public
                  beta testing here:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/textlayout/

-- isn't *required* to make use of the new text rendering engine ... but the
                  component does provide an extensive framework/API that makes the effort of
                  forging ahead on your own prohibitively tedious.

David Stiller
                  Co-author, ActionScript 3.0 Quick Reference Guide
                  http://tinyurl.com/2s28a5

• 6. Re: This HAS to work... I'm going wacky
                    From what you just said, it sounds like this will be another instance where one has to fish the WWW to find out from some gallant soul that's solved things how to use them rather than being able to use the help docs.

While I normally try to rely on the help docs to resolve things, I always have this wish that someday they will overhaul that system. It seems to just be a perpetuation of the same often cryptic thing from one version to the next.
                    • 7. Re: This HAS to work... I'm going wacky
                      Level 7
                      NedWebs,

> From what you just said, it sounds like this will be
                      > another instance where one has to fish the WWW
                      > to find out from some gallant soul that's solved things
                      > how to use them rather than being able to use the
                      > help docs.

I'm not sure if that "you" means me, but in case yes, I should stress
                      that the Text Layout Framework is still in beta, and the component itself
                      (as it is currently) does come with documentation, plus numerous sample
                      files.

I agree, some things are better documented than others, but this one
                      remains to be seen. I checked with a colleague, and he confirmed my
                      conjecture that the component's code is *very* low level, going into the
                      sort of programming that most Flash developers prefer to avoid. To me, this
                      is a positive thing, call me a "cup half full" sort. ;) This new API, when
                      it becomes officially available, looks like it's going to be fantastic.

David Stiller
                      Contributor, How to Cheat in Adobe Flash CS3
                      http://tinyurl.com/2cp6na