9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 9:44 AM by stephenp93018828

LR damaging files

stephenp93018828

Recently my LRCC has damaged some files leaving them a blocky multi-colored mess.  Happens randomly.  I try removing them from the LR catalog and rei-importing to no avail.  I can open in the Windows picture viewer and the original is in tact but if I re-import into LR its a mess again.  It would appear that the revisions to my RAW file are remembered and get reattached even after removing it from the LR catalog.  ???

• 1. Re: LR damaging files
          dj_paige Level 9

This is a hardware malfunction somewhere. It could be a bad camera card, bad transfer to the computer, bad hard disk or bad computer memory. You need to try to isolate the problem by trying different hardware — import the photos into Lightroom from the camera card using different hardware; and if possible import the photos into Lightroom on an entirely different computer.

• 2. Re: LR damaging files
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Without seeing a screenshot, "blocky multi-colored mess" could be the result of two different problems: You may need to rollback your Nvidia driver (if you have an Nvidia chipset on Windows), or you have a hardware problem that's corrupting the raw photos, independent of LR.  (I'm guessing it's more likely the latter.)

The hardware problem could be the camera card, a USB cable, the card reader, the hard disk, or your computer memory.   You can try a different card and cable, and you can connect  a cable directly to the camera rather than use the card reader, to see if those might be the culprits.  You can run hardware diagnostics for your disk and memory (Google for that).

Apps like Windows photo viewer often show a corrupted raw file correctly because they show the JPEG preview embedded in the raw file, not the raw file itself.

• 3. Re: LR damaging files
              stephenp93018828 Level 1

This occurs only after I have imported multiple files and then processed a number of them.  Then only one file will blow up in this manner.  This might be a hard drive issue but equally probable it is LR related I believe.

• 4. Re: LR damaging files
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

This might be a hard drive issue but equally probable it is LR related I believe.

It could also be a memory issue.  LR uses much more memory than other apps and could be touching bad memory blocks that otherwise aren't getting used.

It is extremely unlikely to be a LR problem.  LR doesn't write back to the raw files.   Search these forums for the dozens of threads where people initially thought LR was "corrupting" their raw files -- you won't find any verified instance.

• 5. Re: LR damaging files
                  dj_paige Level 9

This might be a hard drive issue but equally probable it is LR related I believe.

LR never changes the image portion of your original photos. There simply is no function in Lightroom that will change the pixels in your original photos. This is a hardware malfunction.

• 6. Re: LR damaging files
                    stephenp93018828 Level 1

Yes, when I tried to attach the corrupted version, I got a clean .jpeg so, something happens to my editing instructions to the RAW file and it displays corrupted in LR.  JPEG is fine but RAW file is messed up.

• 7. Re: LR damaging files
                      stephenp93018828 Level 1

Since you all are undoubtedly correct, how do I recover the original unchanged RAW from my hard drive so I can re-process in LR?

• 8. Re: LR damaging files
                        dj_paige Level 9

Re-import from the camera card, using different hardware, and if possible place on a different hard disk. This assumes the problem is not the camera card itself, in which case the image is not recoverable.

• 9. Re: LR damaging files
                          stephenp93018828 Level 1

Here is the original and the failCapture.JPG6F9A2890-2.jpg