0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 12:59 PM by mbcola

Macbook Retina Drive Setup

Looking at purchasing an external drive for working in AE, PS and PR on a Retina 2012 (2,6 - 16gb ram - 512 ssd).

My work is split between AE (70%), PS (20%) and PR (10%), working a lot with still images (animation). Right now, everything's done internal, cache, footage, previews, exports.

Did a disk speed and then a render test with my Buffalo Ministation 1TB USB 3.0. Surprisingly (to me), it took only 15% longer for a a short sequence to render compared to my internal SSD. Isn't that strange?

I did another render test of a very short sequence (40mb) and now it took one second longer  writing to the internal SSD.

Below: First speed test is the Buffalo, the second internal ssd.

I was looking at Samsung T3 250GB, SanDisk Extreme 500 and Crucial MX300 (in an Inateck USB 3.0 enclosure) to use for Footage, Preview and Exports.

Is it true that there are stability/ heating issues when running a (500gb and above) SSD on a Macbook USB 3.0 port?

Is there single-drive-non-SSD solution that anyone can recommend for my situation?

Does RPM play a role with footage, preview and export files or does it only concern cache?

Thanks a lot.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-16 um 19.33.49.pngBildschirmfoto 2016-11-16 um 19.51.49.png