• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom encountered an error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While uploading photos from my cs card encountered an error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit lightroom will attemt to fix this problem next time it launches

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Depending on your operating system, use Windows Explorer or Finder to open the folder that contains your catalog. Look for a new folder with the extension .lrdata and delete that folder (ONLY that specific folder). Then start Lightroom again, and it will begin building a new cache. No, this will not have any impact on the work you have done. All of your adjustments will still be in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on your operating system, use Windows Explorer or Finder to open the folder that contains your catalog. Look for a new folder with the extension .lrdata and delete that folder (ONLY that specific folder). Then start Lightroom again, and it will begin building a new cache. No, this will not have any impact on the work you have done. All of your adjustments will still be in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem with Lightroom 6, and I've read this solution in a number of different places. Trouble is, there is no such "Previews.lrdata" file in the folder that contains the Lightroom Catalog.lrcat file. No folders or files by any name with the .lrdata extension. I went so far as to CREATE an empty folder there named Previews.lrdata. Didn't make any difference. Deleting it didn't help, either. When I try to launch LR, I still get "Lightroom encountered an error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. I should have mentioned I'm trying to use Lightroom 6 on a Windows 10 computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's actually a FOLDER with that extension. Do you have your computer configured so that it shows file and folder extensions?

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I realize it's a folder. But no such folder was created when I installed Lightroom. I've tried creating an empty folder with that name, but still have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever had Lightroom 6 open or been able to import into Lightroom 6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I've never gotten past "Lightroom encountered an error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I connected with an Adobe technician by chat. He took control of my computer and resolved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact issue and the only .Irdata file I see is:

Lightroom 5 catalog

Previews.Irdata

That seems like an 'important' file I dont want to delete it if it is incorrect!

Can you help me out?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can delete it with no ill effects. When I was having this problem

with starting LightRoom I deleted the previews file several times in an

attempt to solve it. But simply deleting it didn't eliminate the

problem. I finally contacted an Adobe technician through the chat

function on Adobe's website. He took remote control of my computer for a

few minutes. I can't tell you exactly what he did, but he did resolve

the problem for me. I suggest you do the same thing - contact Adobe's

tech support for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I am not sure they will help me since I have an older version   But, I will try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this same problem for about 2 months and have deleted, re-deleted and deleted the file probably 100 times now.  It's at the point that I can't use effectively use LR because I'm having to restart it every couple of edit operations.  Deleting this file is NOT the only problem causing this error.

I've removed LR and reinstalled it, which worked for a about a week, but came back this morning.  I also removed a folder from the catalog that had just been created (imported photos) when the problem started.

This has become completely untenable and I see similar posts going back as much as 3 years, so this isn't something new.  Adobe needs to figure out what's really going on and fix the product...which, by the way, I really like other than this incredible nuisance that is going on now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. I had this problem on LR CC and now with LR Classic CC it's come back. I've had Adobe support login several times to fix this problem over the years. It's a persistent and recurring problem and obviously Adobe has no idea how to permanently fix the bug.

Corporate photographer based in Calgary, Canada and Oviedo, Spain. Making portraits, architectural, industrial and advertising photography for national and global brands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad I'm paying for a subscription service so I have all the latest updates and bug fixes for the software.  ERRRRRRRgh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win 10 pro 64bit, creative suite.

I had same problem. Many crashes, unable to import global paths.

It seems Lightroom 7.1 and 7.01 classic cant read video files. If lightroom finds during import a video file, it crashes the whole system.

If i imported no videofiles, all pics were imported correctely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just trying to start up the program.  Can't even get past that action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any luck to start Lightroom Classic since last time? Lightroom (non-classic) is working fine but it is uncomfortable for destop workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines