• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to launch Adobe InDesign 2017 as you lack sufficient permissions to access the preferences folders

Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have  a user who's installed indesign 2017 but is now getting an error about lack of permissions to access the preferences folder. searching on google bought me to this website and the following steps -

Step 1:

In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder.

Step 2:

In the Go To Folder dialog and type

~/Library

Click Go.

Step 3:

Open the Caches Folder > Open the InDesign folder > select Version 9.0 and Right Click to select Get Info

ā€¢ Unlock the Security lock in the bottom right hand corner

ā€¢ Under Sharing and Permissions, Click the ā€œ+ā€ to add User (yourself) will display under Name

ā€¢ Under Privilege it will say Read Only, change this to Read & Write

ā€¢ Then select the Settings Icon (cogwheel) and Select Apply to Enclosed Items

Step 4A:

Open the Preferences Folder > Open the InDesign folder > select Version 7.0 and Right Click to select Get Info

- Follow the same bullet point steps listed above under Step 3

Step 4B:

In the same InDesign folder > select Version 9.0 and Right Click to select Get Info

- Follow the same bullet point steps listed above under Step 3

But i am Lost on the first part, what is a finder box and the go button????????????? the above is clear as mud to me as adobe seems to have made up there own language and i completely confused in this ~/library and the term "finder box" and clicking go buttons??? can someone help explain this as they would a child and expand a little on the above so i can fix this error and i do mean explain like for exmaple click this go here etc, if anyone replies hit the go button and finder box you are not helping.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are Mac specific instructions, are you on Windows?

And, they refer to old versionsā€”2017 is version 11, fyi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you start here, with replacing your preferences. Instructions are included for Mac and Windows:

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Then come back and let us know if it works or not, and we'll go from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

InDesign CC 2017 is version 12.

Build number: 12.0.0.81

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, this is windows 7 64 bit, its only when the user is logged in thats it a problem as me as admin can run without a problem. will try the link mentioned in the reply's above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. The icons are sitting side-by-side, and it's Friday!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb

I'm having this same issue, but  my permissions all seem fine for read and write.  In addition, I've tried to be quick with the keyboard and I am just not quick enough to get it to reset the preferences.   Could I please get some more help

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't get the timing on the keyboard technique to work, read this article for an alternative way to delete preferences:

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi BarbBinder

Thanks for your reply, Iā€™ve tried doing it manually and oddly, my latest version of Indesign 12.0 does not have any data in it. I was able to change the version 11 files. Iā€™ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling but to no avail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines