• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Notebook hard drive confusion

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a need for a notebook computer for onsite work. Budget is not unlimited but willing to spend for a system that will suit our needs including working with some 4k material. One of the models we've zeroed in on is from Sager:

https://www.sagernotebook.com/customize.php?productid=1112

Primary question is, given all the numerous HD configuration options, what makes the most sense? HD w/ RAID? Just multiple SSDs without RAID? Would working with external Thunderbolt HDs be another way to go?

Probably go with 32GB of RAM and stick with the default 1060 card over the 1070?

Any/all informed input much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

I would suggest going with the default 256 GB X400 M.2 dirve for your OS/applications.  Then for your storage second drive if you can get by with 512 GB go with the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD.  Sometime early next year you will be able to upgrade to the newer Samsung 960 Pro m.2 dives up to 2TB.  I use both the 950 Pro and 960 Pro SSD's and they are phenomenal SSD's, both work well for me as super storage devices for editing.  Unfortunately my laptop does not have any M.2 capability otherwise they

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tymbe,

I'll move your post to the Hardware forum.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest going with the default 256 GB X400 M.2 dirve for your OS/applications.  Then for your storage second drive if you can get by with 512 GB go with the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD.  Sometime early next year you will be able to upgrade to the newer Samsung 960 Pro m.2 dives up to 2TB.  I use both the 950 Pro and 960 Pro SSD's and they are phenomenal SSD's, both work well for me as super storage devices for editing.  Unfortunately my laptop does not have any M.2 capability otherwise they would be in the laptop.  You do not want any hard disk drives for editing in this day and age.  They are great for backup and archiving. You can also use good USB 3.0 devices like the Samsung T3 (available up to 2TB) as a portable SSD as I do.  I can easily and smoothly edit on my AC powered laptop in my easy chair and pull the portable SSD out, go to my desktop and do the final export and burn disc drives.

There is no reason to use RAID anymore for speed, it may important for off-line archiving

I have not yet any experience with Thunderbolt 3 storage systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much Bill for the input. SSD does seem to be the way to go these days. And given the price, the 7200 HDs for storage are probably worth getting-- at least for tasks such as backup.

I'm thinking that there's probably not that much to be gained by going with the 1070 with 8GB over the 1060 with 6GB?

I've still have an older 17" Sager notebook that I don't use that much these days. A real beast of a machine. Friends kid me that the power supply for this thing weighs more than their "slim" notebooks.

Obviously these higher end notebooks like Sager & MSI are targeted toward gamers-- which I definitely am not. But even so it escapes me how on earth anyone could work on a notebook with a 3840 x 2160 display! Far better eyesight than me I guess. Apparently some of the more expensive options that would appeal to gamers aren't that relevant for video editing?

Wish they had a Win 7 option. I guess I could re-install the OS but will at least look at Win 10 Pro.

Final question:

>> I can easily and smoothly edit on my AC powered laptop in my easy chair...

Can you recommend any particular model of easy chair?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a power recliner La-Z-Boy so I can readily take my naps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very impressive-- not your basic recliner but a power recliner!

Do you think the more expensive 1070 with 2 more GB of VRAM than the 1060 is worth an extra 250 bucks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that all depends on your media.  But for my powerful  desktop I am delighted with a GTX 1060.  Also if you need more GPU acceleration all you do increase the "Memory Clock" on the GPU and you get appreciable more GPU acceleration.  My laptop with an older GTX 765M is always overclocked when the laptop is turned on.  It is safe and very effective.  Everything on laptops is slowed down to get bragging rights on battery life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I configured a clevo/sager super laptop from hidevolution.com

with a 1070 gpu and windows 7 with cs6

Bill was very helpful in my thread with his knowledge

i'm torn between a 15.6" unit or a 17.3" unit

but i am getting 4ssds: os, media cache, footage, final export

can't wait to take delivery

cheers,

jeff

(thanks Bill)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Yeah, I've gone back/forth with the 15 vs 17 options as well. When I bought my last 17" Sager I knew it was going to be used primarily as a stationary computer so the size/weight wasn't that big an issue. However this time around I anticipate needing do much more on-site type work and there the lighter 15s seem more suitable.

Had not heard of the hidevolution site before. What made you go with them as opposed to Sager or Xotic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

i am choosing hidevolution because of the prema bios option

that the other companies don't offer

i am going for the evoc clevo p750dm2-g 15.6" unit

with windows 7 pro (i provide my own product key)

i'm only using samsung evo ssd's

so windows 7 plays nicely

i only use adobe cs6

the unit has 4 ssd's

and a skylake 4.2 ghz i7

with a gtx 1070

a 1080x1920 120hz display

and to me it's portable

cheers,

j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello tymbe,

i just sent you a personal message

i usually don't catch when people send me one

cheers,

j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines