5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2016 10:35 AM by ClayUUID

Dynamically assigning event listeners to movie clips? (Canvas)

anton9800 Level 1

Hello!  I am trying to come up with a way to dynamically assign "click" event listeners to a number of movie clips.

the movie clips are arranged in the following manner:

ParentMovieClip

|_childMovieClip_1
      childMovieClip_2
      childMovieClip_3

my current approach is this:

1. iterate through a parentMovieClip and push all of its children inside an array (that gives me a number of objects I'll turn into buttons).

2. iterate through the array, and assign a name inside the parent movie clip to a temporary variable, then assign event listeners to it.  The code is below:

// temporary variable holding address of current movie clip

for (var i = 0; i < movieClipArray.length; i++) {              

var tempVariable = "this.parentMovieClip.childMovieClip_" + (i+1);

// here I assign listeners to movieclip.  This does turn my childMovieClips into buttons, but I cannot distinguish which clip was clicked using a switch or an if statement, since there are no attributes to check for

eval(tempVariable).addEventListener("click", clickHandler.bind(this));             

// this gives me an actual object, though it's lacking all attributes except for ID

var tempObject = eval(tempOpenPopup);  

// so I assign a name to it manually, in hopes of being able to tell the buttons apart when I click them

tempObject.name = i.toString();

// but I cannot figure out a way to assign an event listener to this tempObject.

}

So, while I am partially successful, I am out of ideas as to how to distinguish between which movie clip was clicked, as the name is not being passed.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!