5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2008 11:23 AM by Newsgroup_User

1 Layer Not Zooming

Average_Mark
      I have multiple layers of shapes and symbols that I am attempting to do a simple tweened zoom on by enlarging the contents of the frame, however, my bottom layer does not tween for some reason, it simply snaps to the new size while all of the other layers smoothly zoom. Does anyone know any reasons this would be happening?
        • 1. Re: 1 Layer Not Zooming
          Level 7
          Average Mark,

> my bottom layer does not tween for some reason, it simply
          > snaps to the new size while all of the other layers smoothly
          > zoom. Does anyone know any reasons this would be
          > happening?

The first thing that comes to my mind is, are you sure you've applied a
          tween to that bottom layer? If so, the *sort* of tween might become
          important. Flash CS4 introduces a new sort of tween that adds to the two
          you had previously. In Flash CS3 and earlier, you had shape tweens and
          motion tweens. In Flash CS4, motion tweens are now called "classic tweens,"
          and the new sort are called "motion tweens" (yup, exactly what classic
          tweens were called).

In classic tweens, you'll find a setting on the Property inspector (a
          checkbox, specifically), that controls whether or not scaling is included in
          your tween. The check box is labeled "Scale," and if that isn't checked,
          your classic tween will animate through all other changes you put it
          through, but will omit scaling. I bring this up because you mentioned
          zooming, so that's my hunch at what's going on -- assuming you have indeed
          applied a tween to this layer.

David Stiller
          Co-author, Foundation Flash CS4 for Designers
          http://tinyurl.com/5j55cv
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. 1 Layer Not Zooming
            fredingston
            Have you turned the "thing" you are trying to zoom into a (graphic) symbol? Flash sometimes is really picky when it comes to accepting a tween animation, and as far as my experience goes graphic symbols work best.

You might want to do this (the layer) from scratch as Flash also likes it clean.

Is it working this way?
            • 3. Re: 1 Layer Not Zooming
              Average_Mark Level 1
              That was it. Thanks for the help!
              • 4. 1 Layer Not Zooming
                Average_Mark Level 1
                Thanks for the advice
                • 5. Re: 1 Layer Not Zooming
                  Level 7
                  fredingston,

> Flash sometimes is really picky when it comes to accepting a
                  > tween animation, and as far as my experience goes graphic
                  > symbols work best.

There are definite and distinct reasons for choosing one type of symbol
                  over another. The nested timelines of graphic symbols, for example, are
                  locked in-step with the timelines that contain them. You can preview
                  graphic symbol timelines by scrubbing their parent timeline, but that isn't
                  true of movie clip symbols, whose timelines are independent. Movie clip
                  symbols make up for that by being programmable, and they also support blend
                  modes and filter effects (which graphics don't). Then you have button
                  symbols, which are limited to a four-frame internal timeline that represents
                  Up, Over, Down, and Hit states. Finally, you have shape tweens, which
                  require shapes (or primitives and grouped objects, though with some quirks).
                  With shape tweens, you can animate gradients and bitmap fills, which isn't
                  possible with classic or motion tweens ... so the approach that works best
                  ultimately depends on what the tween needs to accomplish.

David Stiller
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
                  "Luck is the residue of good design."