Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to batch rename "YYYY-MM-DD - HH.MM.SS - Name - Sequence" in bridge

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I want to rename a whole lot of videos in a very specific scheme in Adobe Bridge CC.

The scheme goes like:

YYYY-MM-DD - HH.MM.SS - Name - 001

The only place where I got a problem is with the HH.MM.SS part. I can choose HHMMSS, but cannot enter HH, MM or SS seperatly, and I really want the dot to separate them. I can do that in Lightroom but Bridge is much more interesting to work with in terms of organizing and renaming videos (like detail view instead of thumbnails, for instance). I'm sure there's a way to do this.

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a 100% only Bridge workflow, I think that this will require the renaming to be performed in two passes:

1st Pass = Basic Rename

2nd Pass = String Substitution using a RegEx find/replace

For a single step workflow, I would recommend using the free ExifTool application

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first option seems more complicated than with Lightroom so it's out of the way.

For the second, I never used ExifTool. Can I batch rename with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, you can recursively batch re-name, however you will need to use some code. There is a forum which can help you search for a previous answer or ask a new one…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. As someone who never coded a single line, would you recommend it to me or should I stick with using Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on your pain! :]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody with better RegEx than I can probably do the 2nd pass regular expression rename in a single step… I had to break down the RegEx into two steps… so three steps in total:

Step 1:

1.png

Step 2:

2.png

Step 3:

3.png

All of these batch rename search/replace commands can be saved as a preset.

So select all files in Bridge and run three separate rename presets… Or use Lightroom… Or some other software for renaming, there are many of them out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, for the record, I figured out the regular expression to combine step 2 & 3 into a single step!

Step 1

+

Step 2

(?<=\d{8}\s-\s\d\d)

+

Step 3

(?<=\d{8}\s-\s\d\d\.\d\d)

The new combined regex pattern would be:

Step 1

+

(NEW) Step 2

(?<=\d{8}\s-\s\d{2})|(?<=\d{8}\s-\s\d{4})

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also belatedly saw the obvious… Rather than combining the two separate regex patterns into a single regex pattern, I could have just used the GUI to combine the two separate regex patterns together!

combined.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which of course leads me to the holy grail – a combined single step batch rename as originally requested!

holy-grail.png

or using the combined regex (?<=\d{8}\s-\s\d{2})|(?<=\d{8}\s-\s\d{4}) for the same result:

holygrail_v2.png

So, who needs Lightroom now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found an error in my previous example, the OP required the year-month-day pattern to be delimited with hyphens, where as my original example did not show this.

I have corrected this and posted a blog entry here:

Prepression: Bridge vs. Lightroom Batch Rename Comparison

The regex should read as:

(?<=\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}\s-\s\d{2})|(?<=\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}\s-\s\d{4})

regex-rename.png

Addendum:

Another regular expression that achieves the same result:

Find = (^.+?\s-\s.{2})(.{2})(.{2})(.+)

Replace = $1.$2.$3$4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines