4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2016 6:46 AM by Abambo

My Lightroom has all my pictures gone from it. Why?

henleyh41521639

I have checked all possible areas the photos could have gone to but still can't locate them.

I have been clicking backup however I have only just learned that Lightroom has not been doing this backup at all.

In Lightroom the ALL PICTURES section has gone back to 0.

Lightroom is basically telling me it contains nothing at all.

I know the un - exported images will not be retrievable but I am trying to work out what has happened so that I can prevent this in future.

Has anybody had this issue themselves and if so how can it be solved if at all please?

• 1. Re: My Lightroom has all my pictures gone from it. Why?
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like you accidentally created a new catalog.

Go to File > Open Recent, and see if your original catalog is listed there.

Please not that your photos are not "in" Lightroom, they are in folders on your hard drive.

The Lightroom catalog is a database that contains a reference to the photos' location, as well as the edits and metadata.

To get a better understanding of how Lightroom works, see this article: Lightroom basics

• 2. Re: My Lightroom has all my pictures gone from it. Why?
            henleyh41521639 Level 1

Hi,

I closed Lightroom normally with all images there the night before and then when I opened it the next they had gone.

I have read and learnt that the lost catalogue box had not shown it's self.

However it has done today after we had sent this question in the forum.

I have a feeling that Lightroom has malfunctioned some how.

I have no idea how though.

I have tried the open recent and when clicked it does nothing.

I think this is because it's not been backing up which it told me it was doing.

I am so confused.

If you have any other ideas please that would be great.

Many Thanks Henley

• 3. Re: My Lightroom has all my pictures gone from it. Why?
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

I have tried the open recent and when clicked it does nothing.

Please describe what you see under File > Recent.

Do you see anything listed?

I have read and learnt that the lost catalogue box had not shown it's self.

However it has done today after we had sent this question in the forum.

I don't understand what this means. Pleas clarify.

I think this is because it's not been backing up which it told me it was doing.

You would only use the backup catalog if the main catalog is missing or damaged.

Use your operating system (Windows Explorer / Mac Finder) to search for catalog files - files with the extension .LRCAT.

Then double-click each one to open them with Lightroom until you find the right one.

Also, please tell us your version of Ligthroom and your operating system and version.

• 4. Re: My Lightroom has all my pictures gone from it. Why?
                Abambo Level 4

It sounds like you accidentally created a new catalog.

Go to File > Open Recent, and see if your original catalog is listed there.

You didn't answer to Per's request. This is however the most plausible cause.

Second possibility: You are working on a Windows PC and your catalog is stored on an external disk. Windows has the habit to change drive letters when the former drive letter is used by some other disk. This is very annoying and makes the catalog disappear. You need to open the catalog using the file->open menu in Lightroom (or double click the LR catalog file).