2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2016 4:53 AM by blackknightimc

Dust sand effect

blackknightimc

Hi all,

I don't know if I'm posting in the right place, and I'm pretty new to AE, but, I'm trying to specifically recreate the sand wind effect from this video,

Deserts Of Kharak Main Menu and Music - YouTube

Is this possible in after effects, or would it be better to use maya fluid dynamics? Can't seem to find the correct tutorial for what I want to achieve.

Thanks for reading!

BK

• 1. Re: Dust sand effect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

would it be better to use maya fluid dynamics?

I'm sure you could , but any "fogbank" tutorial based on Fractal Noise and some gradient fading would be more than adequate just as would be any "text to sand" that relies on similar techniques. This of course being a game there could be genuien sprite-particles involved just like the heat distortion no doubt is a specific shader effect, but honestly, there's no reason to make this complicated. It really is just a couple of layered noises that move in a specifc direction and change their pattern based on a few animated parameters like Evolution.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Dust sand effect
            blackknightimc Level 1

Thanks Mylenium, even better!

I might as well compose dust footage directly on top. I actually think this is how it's been done here. You're right, no need to make this complicated.

Videocopilots Action Essential stock footage might come in handy here.

Thanks for answering,

BK.