8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2008 1:07 PM by Rick_Cope

getURL no longer working - used to!

Rick_Cope
      I've got a Flash file which I have recently updated with my new all-singing-all-dancing CS4. In Flash 8 it all worked perfectly. I used getURL... I set allowScriptAccess to "always" in the html file, set publish settings to "Access network only" and there was never a problem. However, now I am publishing in CS4 (still using AS2) it no longer works. I've checked the html file... looks fine. Any ideas? It works from the machine on which the code is written (sameDomain?) but when run on another refuses to access the Internet. The funny thing is that if I drop the Flash file into another application such as PowerPoint or Smart Notebook it all works perfectly. It's just when it runs through IE on any machine other than mine.
      Any help gratefully received!
      Rick
        • 1. Re: getURL no longer working - used to!
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          what do you mean by, "..but when run on another refuses to access the Internet"?

if your swf is not in the internet sandbox and it tries to communicate with the internet sandbox, there's going to be a security violation unless permission is given.
          • 2. Re: getURL no longer working - used to!
            Rick_Cope Level 1
            Hello again kglad, good to hear from you
            I'm writing a series of short flash applications for schools to use in teaching geography (do you remember the jigsaw picture you helped me with?) I do one a month and they are posted on a website for download. At the end of each application is a page with 'links' to pages on a website for further info. Users are able to click the links and go to the web page. I've always used getURL etc. (see previous message for settings). However, all the previous ones (written in Flash 8 but using the same AS2 code) have worked perfectly when it came to the links. The problem arises if, say, I put a copy of the .swf and associated html file onto my computer at school. The Flash runs faultlessly when run through IE but when the page is displayed with the links on none of them work. You can click them and they appear to respond but nothing happens. The wierd thing is if I drop the Flash into another application (for example an Interactive Whiteboard page) the links work perfectly. Any ideas? Have I got a setting wrong somewhere? They all look fine to me. I've checked the html file and the publish settings in Flash. Bit of a mystery.
            Regards, Rick
            • 3. Re: getURL no longer working - used to!
              hi rick,

(yes, i remember.)

when you're at the computer that's having trouble, in your browser navigate to:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04.htm l

and click edit locations, add locations and add the swf (or its folder) that you want to allow to access the interent.
              • 4. Re: getURL no longer working - used to!
                Rick_Cope Level 1
                Hi kglad
                That seems to do the trick, but why has it kicked in with CS4 when it wasn't needed before? Is it the new Flash player (vers 100 WHICH IS CREATING THIS ISSUE? Will all my end-users have do go through the same routine to be able to access the web from my Flash application? Are there any settings I can adjust to save them having to do it? HTML code perhaps?
                Rick
                • 5. Re: getURL no longer working - used to!
                  it's always been needed. or, at least, since flash 6 it's been needed.

the reason you're seeing it now is

a) you never executed a swf locally that had getURL() or

b) you have executed a swf locally that had getURL() but someone had already given permission to allow an apparent security violation.
                  • 6. Re: getURL no longer working - used to!
                    Rick_Cope Level 1
                    Bit of a mystery. This application is the sixth I've written using the same code for accessing the Internet. It is being used on the same machines (i.e. my laptop at school and my customers computers at their office). All the other applications STILL WORK when using the links I put in. This one doesn't. The action script code is the same, the settings in html are the same, yet for some reason when written in Actionscript 2 in CS4 it doesn't work in the same way. Ho hum.
                    Maybe I'll cut and paste the scripts into Flash 8, recompile into .swf and see what happens then. I'll let you know how I get on.
                    Rick
                    • 8. Re: getURL no longer working - used to!
                      Rick_Cope Level 1
                      Hi kglad
                      As promised I said I'd tell you how I got on! Well, I pasted all the code from the CS4 version into Flash 8 Professional and yes, you've guessed, it all works perfectly. I can access the web from both school and home (without any special security settings) and my publishers are having no difficulty doing the same from their computers in London. The 'publish settings' are identical for both versions in both Flash and the html code. The mystery deepens. Any ideas why this may be happening or shall I see what Adobe have to say?
                      Rick