Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving Between Lightroom to Photoshop then back to Lr and then back to PS

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering whether Abode could impliment this into an update,

My workflow is such that I import and make basic adjustments to a raw file in Lightroom and then I right click and edit in Photoshop where I create multiple layers etc, and then go back to Lightroom. Then I will make further enhancements with the adjustment brush and then right click and click 'Edit a Copy with Lightroom adjustments'.  When I go back into Photoshop all of the layers are gone.

I know that if I click 'Edit Original without Lightroom adjustments', I would get the layers back, but I want to be able to see the Lightroom adjustments I made and get the Layers that I previously created.

Would Abode be able to create it so that would work, and when I go back from Lightroom to Photoshop, with just made Lightroom adjustments, I automatically get a new 'Lr adjustments layer' that is stacked on top of my previous layers. I am able to do this in different ways with various plugins such as Nik effects and Topaz, so why not Lightroom?

That way my workflow would be completely seamless.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

I don't see the workflow you are asking for to be implemented. Lightroom works on a flattened version of your Photoshop file. It's not possible to have layers and Lightroom edits. You can however open the raw image from LR as a smart object in PS. This retains the raw data which you can open and edit in PS with Camera Raw, giving you all the same editing functionality as LR. 

Or, you could add layers in PS and then combine all the layers into a new smart object which you then edit with the Camer

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s by design. A new document is rendered when using “Edit a Copy with Lightroom adjustments”

For brushwork in those circumstances I would always take the original back into Photoshop and use Camera Raw as a filter. If you create a smart object you can constantly tweak from the layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your choice of options when sending the file back to PS says it all. Edit a "COPY" with LR adjustments. You are sending a COPY of the PS document that has the layers in it. To do that LR has to flatten (and or take the Flatten copy that is saved inside the PS layered document), apply the current edits you did in LR, the new edits since the file was saved in PS, and send it back to PS. LR can't read the layers you saved in PS. That is why there is a flatten copy of the image saved inside the layered PS document. Same goes for TIFF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the workflow you are asking for to be implemented. Lightroom works on a flattened version of your Photoshop file. It's not possible to have layers and Lightroom edits. You can however open the raw image from LR as a smart object in PS. This retains the raw data which you can open and edit in PS with Camera Raw, giving you all the same editing functionality as LR. 

Or, you could add layers in PS and then combine all the layers into a new smart object which you then edit with the Camera Raw filter. This would essentially give you the same workflow you are asking for, except all of the editing would be done in PS, not LR. You could use LR just for filemanagement of your PS files. This is essentially how I work with the two applications together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks to you all for your help.

I will use Camera Raw for this from now on.

I see the reasoning behind it, I am editing a flattened copy from Lightroom, but I think it would make sense if Adobe could give a fourth option with 'Edit in' which allows for an extra Lightroom adjusted layer.  I think it would be incredibly helpful and as I said, some Photoshop compatible plugins create an adjustment layer after saving in that particular plugin, so I was just hoping that Abode can do this with Lightroom too.

But once again, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines