11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2008 4:34 AM by Newsgroup_User

slices and text

Joe.Dean
      I am currently making a web layout in FW and im having issues with a small area i have set up for my site links. i have the link text over a backround image that i am slicing, everytime i export the layout to DW its reading the text as part of the sliced image. im new to the program and im sure this is a simple fix any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: slices and text
          Level 7
          Hide the text layer before you export your slice.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"Joe.Dean" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ghbm37$9lr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I am currently making a web layout in FW and im having issues with
          > a
          > small area i have set up for my site links. i have the link text over a
          > backround image that i am slicing, everytime i export the layout to DW its
          > reading the text as part of the sliced image. im new to the program and im
          > sure
          > this is a simple fix any help would be appreciated.
          >
          >
          > .
          >

• 2. Re: slices and text
            Joe.Dean Level 1
            how do i do that? im kinda green ...
            • 3. Re: slices and text
              Level 7
              news:ghbs6u$h4a$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > how do i do that? im kinda green ...

In your Fireworks layer dialogue, click on the eye.

--
              Tim G.
              http://www.pactumweb.com
              http://www.shortordersite.com

Be smart: http://www.pactumweb.com/client/tips.php

• 4. Re: slices and text
                Joe.Dean Level 1
                thank you very much sir.
                • 5. Re: slices and text
                  Joe.Dean Level 1
                  ok well i hide them and exported the file to DW Again now the text doesnt shop at all... so could someone pleas ejust spell out whatever im doing wrong since im apparently just not getting this today.
                  • 6. Re: slices and text
                    pixlor Level 4
                    Oh! I see what you want: HTML text links over a background image. Fireworks is a graphics program, so when you export slices, you're creating graphics. If you want your menu to be text links over a background image, the best way is to build your menu in Dreamweaver. (In fact, even if you want rollover images, it's best to use Dreamweaver to set up your page code, not use the exported HTML from Fireworks.)

One way you can do it, is to make a table with your text navigation items in it and set your images as background elements to the table cells. That's an easy way to set it up. If you're good with CSS, you can build a CSS menu. If you're not so good with CSS, you can buy plugins to Dreamweaver that will build CSS menus for you. They'll save you a lot of time.

• 7. Re: slices and text
                      Level 7
                      Of course, it might help to mention that trying to align/superimpose text
                      over your background image is a failure before you even get off the
                      designing board. One tick of up/downsizing in the browser and your
                      alignment goes down the tubes.

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

"pixlor" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:ghkis2$i9g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Oh! I see what you want: HTML text links over a background image.
                      > Fireworks is
                      > a graphics program, so when you export slices, you're creating graphics.
                      > If you
                      > want your menu to be text links over a background image, the best way is
                      > to
                      > build your menu in Dreamweaver. (In fact, even if you want rollover
                      > images,
                      > it's best to use Dreamweaver to set up your page code, not use the
                      > exported
                      > HTML from Fireworks.)
                      >
                      > One way you can do it, is to make a table with your text navigation items
                      > in
                      > it and set your images as background elements to the table cells. That's
                      > an
                      > easy way to set it up. If you're good with CSS, you can build a CSS menu.
                      > If
                      > you're not so good with CSS, you can buy plugins to Dreamweaver that will
                      > build
                      > CSS menus for you. They'll save you a lot of time.
                      >
                      >
                      >

• 8. slices and text
                        Joe.Dean Level 1
                        Pretty much i was using fire works to make my css layout. and i figured id do things the easy way... so murray what your saying is i should go and do everything through dreamweaver and forget using fireworks. this confuses me because all the tutorials for fire works show a multipage layout made and exported to DW like it was nothing. i was working off the tutorial where he had his links in the header of his fireworks layout over a slice with hotspots.
                        • 9. Re: slices and text
                          Level 7
                          FW's HTML is good for prototyping and not much else.

Look - don't bother with the FW or the DW tutorials. Spend your time
                          learning HTML and CSS, and the rest of it will magically become clear.

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          ==================
                          ==================

news:ghm469$ind$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Pretty much i was using fire works to make my css layout. and i figured id
                          > do
                          > things the easy way... so murray what your saying is i should go and do
                          > everything through dreamweaver and forget using fireworks. this confuses
                          > me
                          > because all the tutorials for fire works show a multipage layout made and
                          > exported to fireworks like it was nothing. i was working of the tutorial
                          > where
                          > he had his links in the header of his fireworks layout over a slice with
                          > hotspots.
                          >

• 10. Re: slices and text
                            pixlor Level 4
                            quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                            Of course, it might help to mention that trying to align/superimpose text
                            over your background image is a failure before you even get off the
                            designing board. One tick of up/downsizing in the browser and your
                            alignment goes down the tubes.
                            --
                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575

Um...yeah...most of the time. It's okay if it's a tiling background image or if the text is set to a specific pixel size. But otherwise, you're right.

quote:

Originally posted by: Joe.Dean
                            Pretty much i was using fire works to make my css layout. and i figured id do things the easy way...

No no. Using Fireworks to write your code for you is not the easy way. Not in the long run.
                            • 11. Re: slices and text
                              Level 7
                              > if the text is set to a specific pixel size

You cannot restrict the visitor's ability to resize by doing this. FF,
                              Safari, Opera, Seamonkey, Konqueror, etc., etc., etc., just blow right past
                              it and resize the text. IE is the only browser in the universe that is
                              flummoxed by it, and only then if you have not enabled the accessability
                              options.

> things the easy way...

Paradoxically, with HTML, doing things the easy way is always the hard way.
                              Instead, you must do things the right way. 8)

--
                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              ==================
                              ==================

"pixlor" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                              news:ghn43d$sml$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >
                              quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                              > Of course, it might help to mention that trying to align/superimpose text
                              > over your background image is a failure before you even get off the
                              > designing board. One tick of up/downsizing in the browser and your
                              > alignment goes down the tubes.
                              > --
                              > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              >

> Um...yeah...most of the time. It's okay if it's a tiling background image
                              > or
                              > if the text is set to a specific pixel size. But otherwise, you're right.
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              quote:

Originally posted by: Joe.Dean
                              > Pretty much i was using fire works to make my css layout. and i figured id
                              > do
                              > things the easy way...

> No no. Using Fireworks to write your code for you is not the easy
                              > way.
                              > Not in the long run.
                              >