• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images .CR2 vs .NEF Trouble with Raw

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I downloaded Lightroom 5 for my new MAC about 2 months ago, I noticed that when I import my second shooter's RAW files (.CR2 for Cannon) they act like .JPG and my adjustments don't work.

Does this have to do with my initial setup of lightroom when I told it to make my nikon camera compatible?

I only have issues with Cannon files that are RAW, no issues with the images from my nikon.

Any suggestions? Is there some setting where I can change which camera files work? Or is this a different issue that I don't understand. I'm just taking a guess that its because they're cannon files. Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

leahe21492026 wrote:

when I import my second shooter's RAW files (.CR2 for Cannon) they act like .JPG and my adjustments don't work.

Explain this further, provide lots and lots of details. I don't understand it as it is written.

Please state your exact version NUMBER of Lightroom. Also state the exact model of your Canon camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Version 5.7.1

Camera RAW 8.7.1

My second shooter's camera is the Canon 5d mark iii

When I import the files from my second shooter's Canon camera, and then go into develop in lightroom, as soon as I try to use my presets or white balance correction or any other function that would need to be done on a RAW file, the image does a very muted change. For instance, if I use the VSCO N- Fuji Neopan 1600++ black and white preset on any of the images that I imported from my own camera (Nikon D610, RAW) the blacks and shadows become very deep and contrasted. When I try to use the same preset on a file that is .CR2, the image become so dim and non-contrasted, lots of grays, very grainy. The same type of reaction happens with any other preset or action in Lightroom.

I tested a .jpg file and it is the exact same end result: grainy, muted, no contrast, faded coloring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you mean  when you say that you "told Lightroom to make my Nikon camera compatible". If Nikon supports a camera then it has one or more profiles designed specifically for the raw files from that camera. So there should be separate profiles for the Canon camera. I don't know anything about the black-and-white plug-ins you are talking about. Are they designed to be  camera specific?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, sorry I probably am not using the right vocab. When I first had Lightroom installed, a few windows popped up for setting up my lightroom. I can't fully recall all the questions that were asked, but I know that there was an option to choose what brands of cameras I use. This may be unrelated to my problem, but I'm just trying to give any information that might help me.

I've had another friend give me some files that were RAW from his Canon camera, and I'm getting the same image flaw where I can't get functions to work. The only reason I mentioned the black and white plug in was to give an example of a function that doesn't work. If you want to get a visual idea of what I see when I try to edit a .cr2 right now: import a jpg to your lightroom and try to add filters. everything you try to do will be faded/muted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 7.22.04 PM.png this is what my edited .nef images look like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is an image that is .cr2 with the exact same preset and selected, its grainy and muted and not working correctScreen Shot 2016-11-28 at 7.24.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 7.24.40 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall having to tell Lightroom what brand of camera I was using. Lightroom adds support to cameras, and once that support is added Lightroom will enable you to edit the images from that camera. There are default settings specific to each camera that Lightroom supports. Where did you get these Fuji presets that you are using. I see that the one that is selected is, as I understand it, to simulate ISO 800. Is that correct? What happens if you use a lower number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

VSCO film simulations are partially per camera model, and include both a preset of LR settings, which can be applied to any image, and a corresponding camera profile that is specific to a camera model.  What is likely happening is you're choosing a VSCO preset that makes the LR settings adjustments but the camera profile also specified in the preset cannot be found so the corresponding look that comes from that part is not being applied.

Go to the Camera Calibration section and look in the Profile list for the camera that works and the camera that doesn't and I expect you'll see only the Adobe-supplied profiles for the camera that doesn't work, but many more VSCO-specific profiles for the camera that does work.

There may be other things going on, too, but that's probably the main issue, the lack of purchased VSCO film-simulations for the guest camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines