6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2016 11:54 AM by kentdesign

Lightroom catalogue management and book module issues

Linfoxphotos

I have 3 questions:

1.  My external hard drive is nearly full so I am looking to move my entire bases photo collection onto a larger external hard drive. If I just copy the whole thing across will Lightroom recognize it with a single click redirect to the new hard drive?

2.  Has anyone been able to find a way to do more advanced custom page templates (e.g. 8 photos to a page in the large landscape book and/or add borders)?  Is Adobe going to introduce this in an upgrade (Blurb Booksmart has these options but Lightroom is easier to use).

3. I don't have photoshop but would love to be able to colour proof my photos before book printing. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

- Linda from Australia

• 1. Re: Lightroom catalogue management and book module issues
          dj_paige Level 9

I only know the answer to question #1, which is: if you do things properly, everything should work. The method I recommend is given in "Part 2 -- Updating Folder Location" in this document: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders . On a windows computer, another method is to simply give the new hard drive the same drive letter as the old hard drive (after first disconnecting the old hard drive) and that will reconnect the files as well.

• 2. Re: Lightroom catalogue management and book module issues
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

1. What type of computer are you using, Windows or Mac?

If the drive name or letter is the same and the images files show up with the same PATH then LR won't know the difference. If the name or letter is different then you will need to Reconnect them.

How to find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

As for 2 and 3 I have no idea.

• 3. Re: Lightroom catalogue management and book module issues
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

3. I don't have photoshop but would love to be able to colour proof my photos before book printing. Any suggestions?

I assume you mean CMYK printing on a press here.

Support for soft proofing with CMYK profiles was introduced in LR6 / CC 2015, but removed (temporarily) in LR 6.6 / CC 2015.6.

You don't mention your version of LR, but if you have version 6 or CC, you could roll back to version 6.5 / 2015.5, which would enable you to soft proof with CMYK profiles.

The feature was apparently removed because it was not working properly, so there is no guarantee that it will give you an accurate preview.

See also this thread: Add a new ColorSpace to Lightroom

• 4. Re: Lightroom catalogue management and book module issues
                kentdesign Adobe Community Professional

Question 1. Yes copy all the photo files to the new external drive. I suggest you do it through Lightroom or use an application such as GoodSync to copy them exactly. Of course you can always drag copy.

Then, disconnect your original ext drive and keep the new larger drive connected and open Lightroom.

When the question marks show up on your folders in the library, you can click the first one on a photo and ask Lightroom to help you find all the photos by "syncing" the first one and all the others to the new location.

Question 2: Please see the screen grab attached here. I simply when to the Print module and selected the Cells section and added what I needed. I also changed the borders using the Image settings - although there is no fancy border option, just thickness of the border and the color and thickness of the stroke. When you create a template you like, click the plus sign in the left side panel in the Print module and create a custom user template. Be sure to name it with something that sounds like what you created, i.e. 4 up, thick black border.

LightroomScreenSnapz001.png

Question #3. The Soft Proofing check box is in the Tool bar below the Grid in the Developmodule. When that is checked, a soft proofing panel appears on the right panel side where you can choose the color space and intent, and also simulate the paper and ink.

• 5. Re: Lightroom catalogue management and book module issues
                  Linfoxphotos Level 1

Thank you all and a couple of follow up questions for KentDesign please:

- I see the capacity to tailor and save custom page designs in the print module but can't see how to import the page layout into the Lightroom book module?

- Also is there a way to set a large landscape size page in the print module (It has an 8x10" option and then only A4 etc)?

- finally I can't see any soft proofing check box option on my 6.3 version of Lightroom. What version are you using?

Cheers,

Linda

• 6. Re: Lightroom catalogue management and book module issues
                    kentdesign Adobe Community Professional

Book Module:

I have honestly never made a book with Blurb and have never really used the book module. I have made books using the print module and then exporting the pages to create my own books with other printers! Sorry about that.  Maybe someone else can answer? Or maybe Blurb can help directly?

I see that you can edit a page in the book module by selecting another set up and then saving it as a new preset - however I do not know about changing the layout from the options listed in the Book module. And I do not know how to edit a cel in the book module at all other than use the sliders available.

Landscape:

As for the landscape size, you can create a landscape size cel, but be sure to set your "Page Set up" (at the bottom of the left hand panel of the Print module to the correct page size and orientation. Then either select a cel and  change the height and width of the selected cell by clicking and dragging on the anchor lines of the cel, or by using the slider adjustments in the Cells panel under Adjust selected cel.

You can also add a "landscape size cel" to the choices under "Add to package", by clicking the down arrow by one option such as 8 x 10 and then clicking the word Edit which allows you to enter dimensions.

Version:

I am on the latest version of LR  CC (v2015.7 release). There was one version which did not have the soft proofing box and you just may be on that version!