1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 27, 2016 6:38 PM by dj_paige

Not able to select individual picture files when importing to LR from memory card

jnick1947

I just installed LR6 and after using Nikon Transfer for years to build my catalog I find LR's import functions limited to "all," or "new" photos - something I would expect in a program such as Piccassa!

Everything on my existing memory cards is "new" to LR and it just loaded all 967 files off my CF card as it would not let me select the actual "new" files from last night.

Is there any way to select individual files (or groups of files) to import.

Also, The tutorial on "importing" shows that one must import files that already exist in one's picture catalog into LR to use them. One would expect that the "copy" function is actually storing a copy (taking up more memory and necessitating adding new files with new names)? Is this done because LR is assuming that the original RAW file will be output as something else after being edited in LR?

• 1. Re: Not able to select individual picture files when importing to LR from memory card
          dj_paige Level 9

You can check the box next to the photo in the Import dialog box to specify what photos you want to import. Pro tip: import them all, don't try to import some now and some later, this is a recipe for confusion.

Also, The tutorial on "importing" shows that one must import files that already exist in one's picture catalog into LR to use them.

I don't know what you mean by "picture catalog". You must import photos into Lightroom to do anything with them in Lightroom. If the photos are already on your hard disk, then you probably want to import using the "Add", which keeps the photos in their existing location. If you choose "Copy", then yes, a copy is made, and the "Copy" option is most useful when the photos are on a camera card, they must be copied to a hard disk in order to import them into Lightroom.

Is this done because LR is assuming that the original RAW file will be output as something else after being edited in LR?

No.