3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 6:39 AM by Roei Tzoref

Several Pro Res 4444 Clips Blacking Out When Bit Depth is Changed

Gary Linstrom

Hi,

I have a frustrating issue that when I change the bit depth of my project from 8 bit to 16 or 32 bits several pro res 4444 clips turn to black. I have tried reloading them, replacing them. The footage is shot on the Alexa Mini and there are clips in the project that this is not a problem so I am quite confused.

It may have had something to do with importing one project into another?

Thanks Gary

• 1. Re: Several Pro Res 4444 Clips Blacking Out When Bit Depth is Changed
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

OS and exact version number of AE? Try this: under preferences->display see if you can switch hardware acceleration OFF

• 2. Re: Several Pro Res 4444 Clips Blacking Out When Bit Depth is Changed
            Gary Linstrom Level 1

Hi Roei,

thanks for the reply. Hardware acceleration doesn't seem to do anything as it was off. I have had this issue on two computers both running Osx 10.12.1 and with after effects 13.6.1 but i also had this problem in the new version. I don't think it is a codec problem as other clips from the same camera work. It's strange as the footage works in premiere and every other program but any time I import it into after effects it goes black. Even with a new project. I can obviously convert the footage but i am trying to keep all the files to their originals as I have to deliver the project file at the end.

I'm not sure if there is an alpha setting i am missing, maybe something changed in the clip metadata? I can't really change any of the interpreting settings except for frame rate so not sure if there is somewhere else.

Thanks Gary

• 3. Re: Several Pro Res 4444 Clips Blacking Out When Bit Depth is Changed
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
              Osx 10.12.1 and with after effects 13.6.1

you should use 13.7.2 if you are on Mac. CC 2015 was one of the buggiest version ever and it took five updates to get it right. but since you are on Sierra, only the latest CC2017 is officially supported and Os bug free (fingers crossed) when it comes to sierra. this is probably not be related to your problem since you already mentioned it happens in the new version. premiere is maximum 10-bit (although it can import 16bit) so this is probably why it works there.

so certain clips go black at 32bit.. maybe it's a bug. you could try to report it here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form and link to this thread and maybe get the Ae Team's attention.

in the meantime you could try exporting 10-bit from Premiere and use a supporting codec and try use that in Ae. just for testing I would try copy pasting my sequence from premiere or using import premiere sequence via dynamic link and see if that works

I can't really change any of the interpreting settings except for frame rate so not sure if there is somewhere else.

if the interpret footage dialog box shows no Alpha then No.