7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2008 3:02 AM by Newsgroup_User

Index Files?

Generally Confused Level 1
      Other web page writing software I have worked with saves an Index file and a group of files associated with that Index file when I save the new webpage I am creating. This happens automatically. When I save the new file I am working on in Dreamweaver, this doesn't happen. The program saves the file I'm working on as a .dwt (or something). How do I get the program to save my primary page as an Index file?!?
        • 1. Re: Index Files?
          Level 7

> The program saves the file I'm working on
          > as a .dwt (or something).

That only happens if you use File->Save As Template, or if the page was
          already a .dwt dreamweaver template file.

First- Have you "defined a site" in dreamweaver?

After that- use File->New and pick html page if that is what you want.
          Then use File->Save and save it as whatever filename and file extension you
          want to within this Site's Local Site Folder.

The normal filename for a "homepage" is lowercase index.html or index.htm

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: Index Files?
            OK. Thanks. That worked.

I'm also having trouble changing the color scheme. I've tried a couple of different approaches. Nothing seems to change the color scheme that ends up on the hosted web page, which is all blue. Any advice?
            • 3. Re: Index Files?
              Level 7
              >>Any advice?

Not without more info. We haven't been given much to work with so far.

Can you provide a link to the site and a brief explanation of exactly what
              you're trying to achieve?

--
              Regards

John Waller

• 4. Re: Index Files?
                Thanks. I guess I fixed it. I had to go in and edit the source code to get the colors to change. I've had this copy of Dreamweaver for quite a while but I've never used it. Seems to me that it is VERY difficult. OK, so it's probably powerful as well, but it's like trying to program a computer in Assembly language. For instance, my editing page is in black and white. If I want to change the colors, I change the source code, then publish it to the web, then go the website to see what I accomplished... unlike other webpage programs that just show you what you did as you do it. So maybe there is a button somewhere to push that will fix this, but it isn't obvious where it is or even if it exists. It's just a very difficult, unfriendly program as far as I'm concerned. Like it was a European program or something.
                • 5. Re: Index Files?
                  Level 7
                  >>It's just a very difficult, unfriendly program as far as I'm concerned

If you understand HTML & CSS DW isn't difficult at all. If you don't
                  understand HTML & CSS it is infinitely difficult. DW is not a beginner's
                  point-&-click, drag-&-drop program just like HTML is not desktop publishing
                  or illustration software.

There is a Design mode (window) in DW that gives you an *approximation* of
                  how your page will render and there is a Preview in browser mode that does
                  as named. It's all right in from of you, just press F1 and work through some
                  of the tutorials.

Sounds as if you have a pretty old version, If so, the Design mode
                  rendering, especially for CSS will be rather poor compared to the current
                  version (CS4 or version 10).
                  --

Walt

"Generally Confused" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:gj6d7t$a5e$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Thanks. I guess I fixed it. I had to go in and edit the source code to get
                  > the
                  > colors to change. I've had this copy of Dreamweaver for quite a while but
                  > I've
                  > never used it. Seems to me that it is VERY difficult. OK, so it's probably
                  > powerful as well, but it's like trying to program a computer in Assembly
                  > language. For instance, my editing page is in black and white. If I want
                  > to
                  > change the colors, I change the source code, then publish it to the web,
                  > then
                  > go the website to see what I accomplished... unlike other webpage programs
                  > that
                  > just show you what you did as you do it. So maybe there is a button
                  > somewhere
                  > to push that will fix this, but it isn't obvious where it is or even if it
                  > exists. It's just a very difficult, unfriendly program as far as I'm
                  > concerned.
                  > Like it was a European program or something.
                  >

• 6. Re: Index Files?
                    Level 7
                    Which version of DW are you running?

Sounds like you're making life very difficult for yourself.

--
                    Regards

John Waller
                    • 7. Re: Index Files?
                      Level 7
                      Generally Confused wrote:
                      > It's just a very difficult, unfriendly program as far as I'm concerned.
                      > Like it was a European program or something.

Dreamweaver is American, but we Europeans are neither difficult, nor
                      unfriendly. We're actually quite nice, and most of us are quite
                      cultured, too. Just like Dreamweaver. ;-)

--
                      David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
                      Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS4",
                      "PHP Solutions" & "PHP Object-Oriented Solutions"
                      http://foundationphp.com/