8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2008 10:49 AM by leegraph

Moving Files from Site A to Site B

martcol Level 4
      So I have two "Sites" in DW. One's the test site hosted on Host A and the other the actual site on Host B. Different details obviously, in DW Site Manger.

I want to put a heap of pages/folders/images from the test site and publish them to the actual site. How do I manage that in DW without getting in a mess?

I can see a File>Import but that doesn't seem obviously connected.

Thanks

Martin.
        • 1. Re: Moving Files from Site A to Site B
          Level 7
          Is the intent to have the exact files from the Test Site on Host A published
          to the Actual Site on Host B (only when you're done testing, of course?)

If that's the case, I would keep only 1 local copy of the files, and
          reference that local copy in both of the DW site definitions. Then, I'd only
          publish to the Actual Host when I was ready to go live.

--
          Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
          Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
          Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
          --

"martcol" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ggp99j$rd0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > So I have two "Sites" in DW. One's the test site hosted on Host A and the
          > other the actual site on Host B. Different details obviously, in DW Site
          > Manger.
          >
          > I want to put a heap of pages/folders/images from the test site and
          > publish
          > them to the actual site. How do I manage that in DW without getting in a
          > mess?
          >
          > I can see a File>Import but that doesn't seem obviously connected.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Martin.
          >

• 2. Re: Moving Files from Site A to Site B
            I am a newbie and had the same problem last week. I could not find info on line/help. I set up the test site with the new pages with two folders of the same name as the host site, SiteName folder and inside of it the Images folder for the graphics. Since I still do not understand all of the dependent files issues, after I made the additional pages, I simply took the files from the test site SiteName folder on my hard drive and copied them to the host SiteName folder and the Images from the test site Image folder and copied them to the host Image folder. I had to connect the new links of some of the new pages which was easy and it worked for me. I am sure there is a better way, I just don't know how.
            • 3. Moving Files from Site A to Site B
              Level 1
              P@tty Ayers ~ACE, I think I understand your solution, but I think when I tried that I got a message that there may be synchronization conflicts. I have only synchronized a couple of times, but when I needed to do so, it was helpful. I guess one could delete or change the additional site at that time... or am I not understanding your solution?

thanks.

• 4. Re: Moving Files from Site A to Site B
                Level 7
                That message is an alert that if you have two sites, each using the same
                local root folder, and you synchronize files in one site, you may disrupt
                the records that DW keeps about the files that have been synched in the
                other site. If you never synch then you don't need to worry about this.

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                ==================

"leegraph" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:ggpf5h$4sd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >I think I understand your solution, but I think when I tried that I got a
                > message that there may be synchronization conflicts. I have only
                > synchronized
                > a couple of times, but when I needed to do so, it was helpful. I guess
                > one
                > could delete or change the additional site at that time... or am I not
                > understanding your solution?
                >
                > thanks.
                >
                >
                >
                >

• 5. Re: Moving Files from Site A to Site B
                  Level 7
                  Right - I never used the synchronize feature, so that isn't a problem for
                  me. If you do use it, I guess this method won't work for you.

--
                  --

"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                  news:ggpij0$8oo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > That message is an alert that if you have two sites, each using the same
                  > local root folder, and you synchronize files in one site, you may disrupt
                  > the records that DW keeps about the files that have been synched in the
                  > other site. If you never synch then you don't need to worry about this.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  > Adobe Community Expert
                  > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  > ==================
                  > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  > ==================
                  >
                  >
                  > "leegraph" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  > news:ggpf5h$4sd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >>I think I understand your solution, but I think when I tried that I got a
                  >> message that there may be synchronization conflicts. I have only
                  >> synchronized
                  >> a couple of times, but when I needed to do so, it was helpful. I guess
                  >> one
                  >> could delete or change the additional site at that time... or am I not
                  >> understanding your solution?
                  >>
                  >> thanks.
                  >>
                  >>
                  >>
                  >>
                  >

• 6. Re: Moving Files from Site A to Site B
                    Level 7

"leegraph" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:ggpet1$4ln$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >I am a newbie and had the same problem last week. I could not find info on
                    > line/help. I set up the test site with the new pages with two folders of
                    > the
                    > same name as the host site, SiteName folder and inside of it the Images
                    > folder
                    > for the graphics. Since I still do not understand all of the dependent
                    > files
                    > issues, after I made the additional pages, I simply took the files from
                    > the
                    > test site SiteName folder on my hard drive and copied them to the host
                    > SiteName
                    > folder and the Images from the test site Image folder and copied them to
                    > the
                    > host Image folder. I had to connect the new links of some of the new
                    > pages
                    > which was easy and it worked for me. I am sure there is a better way, I
                    > just
                    > don't know how.

You can do that, but it's the hard way. I'd still recommend the method I
                    described above.

--
                    --

• 7. Moving Files from Site A to Site B
                      martcol Level 4
                      Gosh, this is what's happened.

I have site A going on my own host in a sub-directory. I didn't think it ever would but it's started to gather some Google traffic. So I put a redirect on its directory and put up a contact form on actual site whilst we continue to develop the actual site.

Now I would like to first off, transfer the test site to a p-word protected directory on the actual site so actually, whilst the files and folders on my PC will look the same the directory of the actual sites will be different.

I would like to use sync but I have been badly bitten by that when I did it on the test site and I think that DW went down to the root directory whilst I only expected it to sync to the folder I was in. If you see what I mean.

Actual: Root >index.htm
                      .................>pages
                      .........................>CSS
                      .........................>testsite (intended)
                      ...................................>index.htm
                      ...................................>test pages (intended)

Test: Root >index.htm
                      ...................>other stuff
                      ............................>more other stuff
                      ............................>testsite
                      .....................................>index.htm
                      .....................................>test pages

Regards

Martin

I tried to represent the directory tree in my list there.
                      • 8. Re: Moving Files from Site A to Site B
                        Level 1
                        Well, Ace & Ace, I learned something here; I am working on a new home page and combining two sites so I'll back things up and reference the local copy in both of the DW site definitions. If it works, it certainly will be a lot easier in the long run.