5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2011 1:13 PM by Jamie_Loonam

open link in new browser window

Ben45750 Level 1
      I know how to enter the links in the assets page so when I export to dreamweaver the links already in the html. Is it possible to enter a link URL and have it open in a new window? I know that you can use the popup feature but is there any other way?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: open link in new browser window
          Level 7
          Ben45750 wrote:
          > I know how to enter the links in the assets page so when I export to
          > dreamweaver the links already in the html. Is it possible to enter a link URL
          > and have it open in a new window? I know that you can use the popup feature but
          > is there any other way?

In Dreamweaver, set the link target to blank.

--
          Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: open link in new browser window
            Ben45750 Level 1
            Thank You Linda,

That's the way I have been doing it, in Dreamweaver. In Fireworks you can create the link to open in a new browser but you have to use the drop down menu so when you click on the link the drop down menu appears and it doesn't look right. Another question about that though. Is it possible that when I use the Assets tab to enter all my links, Is it possible to enter address with any certain code? When writing the html code I can use the ref with _blank to open the new browser. Can I write the link address's with that code? I have tried and can't get it to work right?
            • 3. Re: open link in new browser window
              Jamie_Loonam

I used the Behaviors tab to do this (see:  www.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/interactivity/behavior/behavior04.html). 

The page I was starting from is http://www.wqma.com/schedule.html.  I wanted to click on a link and have it open a new window with a .pdf of our schedule.

When I strictly followed the instructions in the above Adobe link, I ended up having a new window open with the link I wanted.  In addition, however, the old window *also* opened to the new page.  Then I tried deleting the address within the '<a href=...>' parentheses.  (I assumed that's what Linda meant by leaving it blank.)  But when I did this, the initial page jumped back to my home page.  So instead, within the '<a href=...>' parentheses, I entered the address for the page I was starting from (<a href="http://www.wqma.com/schedule.html">).  This made the first window "stay" on the page I was starting from, and also opened another window with the page I wanted.

• 4. Re: open link in new browser window
                Linda Nicholls Level 4

If you check the date on my post, you'll see that it's from a couple of years ago, and about an older version of Dreamweaver.

• 5. Re: open link in new browser window
                  Jamie_Loonam Level 1

Yes, I did see that.  But since this thread was toward the top of my search results (and showed as uresolved), I answered anyway.