• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF file will not print at FedEx - Becomes Encrypted

Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I designed a DIY document with editable fields in Illustrator and saved as a PDF, with no security settings or password.  Saved on a flash drive and went to the FedEx Self-Serve to print.

The PDF file would only print as encrypted text, not the editable document in the PDF file.  The FedEx worker was able to print the file correctly from their printer only after he overwritten some settings that prevented the "copyright" block.  What???? 

I informed the FedEx worker that I was the copyright owner/designer and had to sign copyright papers for their files.  The FedEx worker said that the printer detects PDFs and assumes copyright infringement and will not print on the Self-Serve side without signing copyright papers for FedEx files. 

How can I override this "copyright" block as my files are being prepared to be sold as DIY downloadable printables to my customers.

Thanks for your assistance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

To give the creative path of the pdf file:

First I designed the image (all content was entirely created by me - fonts are not mine) in Illustrator, then I saved that file as a PDF.  Open that same file in Acrobat DC Pro and made editable fields. Then saved same file as a PDF that now has editable fields.  I save that file onto a flash drive and took it to FedEx. 

At FedEx I went to the self served copier and selected that PDF file to print in color.  The copier printed nothing but black & white r

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Acrobat DC?

PDF properties and metadata, Adobe Acrobat DC

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am using Adobe Acrobat DC on an iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't create editable fields in Illustrator. So how exactly did you create them?

Also: the process would need to save the PDF from a different application than Illustrator. Illustrator was not the last application that saved your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, since this is not at all a familiar problem

1. You say the text is "encrypted". What did you actually see, exactly?

2. You are the designer, but did you include any other creator's work (e.g. photos from the web)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To give the creative path of the pdf file:

First I designed the image (all content was entirely created by me - fonts are not mine) in Illustrator, then I saved that file as a PDF.  Open that same file in Acrobat DC Pro and made editable fields. Then saved same file as a PDF that now has editable fields.  I save that file onto a flash drive and took it to FedEx. 

At FedEx I went to the self served copier and selected that PDF file to print in color.  The copier printed nothing but black & white random text and numbers (this is the encryption output). Then I had to get assistance from the FedEx worker who informed me about how I could not print the file because of copyright protection.  The FedEx worker was able to print the file through the printers behind the counter after he overwritten "blockers" to print the file.

After doing other research I discovered that FedEx, Staples, Office Depot will also not print any PDF without copyright proof.  So there was nothing wrong with my PDF file.  Now the self served printers are programmed to not print PDF files.  Only way to get the PDF files printed is through the Print Associate at that location and providing them with proof of copyright authorization to print the PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification. I guess the buzzword "encrypted" is confusing me. I think it's just printing junk. Encryption implies some very detailed high level stuff with passwords and certificates, and I don't know how you'd recognise it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right, it just printed junk.  Technically, encryption is on another "secret" level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines