• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is LR so slow and why aren't they improving it?

Participant ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is LR so slow and why aren't they improving it?  LR5 was relatively fast, and ever since then, esp with the CC collection, LR has been unbearably slow.  I call it the "Spin Cycle" program.  Sure, I know you can optimize it.  Done all that.  You can have a faster computer.  Mine is really fast with 32 gigs of RAM.  But ever since LR5, every time I do something -- anything! -- it goes into spin cycle.  Yes, I clean out the cache.  I've done all the things suggested to make it faster, and it's slow as molasses.

I just upgraded again to CC 2015.7, whatever the latest version is on CC, and I was really hoping they would improve the speed of LR.  But no luck.  If anything, it's slower.  I wish they would address this and fix it.  I hate that I have to sit here and wait on LR every time I do anything.

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an open forum with "some" Adobe staff participation, use the links below to make a report

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform for feature requests or bug reports

-or Feedback forum https://forums.adobe.com/community/creative_cloud/desktop-app/content

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried disabling GPU acceleration? (Preferences > Performance)

Also, I noticed LR was really bogged down doing facial recognition until it churned through my entire catalog. I've since turned that off, as it wasn't any use to me.

Another thing, some users have reported a performance improvement by increasing the Camera Raw cache to 20Gb or more.

See this link for a list of potential ideas for speeding up Lightroom:

Optimize Lightroom performance

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I did the increased raw cache, but maybe I missed the GPU acceleration and that's what's bogging me down.  I just clicked on it, so hopefully that will help.    I looked for anything in Preferences regarding facial recognition, and I don't see anything.  I don't need that.  Where do you turn that off (in case it's on)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Face detection is paused by clicking on the identity plate and then clicking the right option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Face Detection was off.  Added the GPU acceleration.  Still not nearly as fast as I'd like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to determine any difference in performance with GPU on or off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A little, but not much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines