3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2016 10:31 AM by kglad

CS5 crashing turns .fla file into unexpected file format

Dr. Acula

While working in Flash Professional CS5, the program crashed and when I open the last version of the flash file I saved it tells me it's an unexpected file format. What is this about? It is an .fla file. How can I recover this file and is there an auto save feature in CS5? Please help

• 1. Re: CS5 crashing turns .fla file into unexpected file format
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

your fla is corrupted.

you may (but probably won't) be able to salvage some of your work.

1. copy the fla so you have a duplicate and original.

2. rename the duplicate to a rar file

3. open the rar file with winrar and repair it.

4. rename the repaired rar to a fla and open in flash.

5. if that succeeds, you're lucky. read below because that will never happen again.

6. if that fails, rename the repaired renamed fla back to a rar file and unrar it.  you may be able to recover some assets

resolve to never encounter that again by saving your fla projects frequently with different names.  i append _v000, _v001, _v002 etc to the file name.

i created a jsfl that does that automatically and created a shortcut to the jsfl file so pressing ctrl-alt-s saves with the next incremented file name suffix.

• 2. Re: CS5 crashing turns .fla file into unexpected file format
            Dr. Acula Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it did not work. Thanks again.

Gary Wutkowski

gwutkowski@i-t-tech.com<mailto:gwutkowski@i-t-tech.com262.251.9702>

262.251.9702 Ext. 114

Technical Illustrator/Animator

IT Technologies

N96 W15504 County Line Rd.

Germantown, WI 53022

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.