Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Asset Export Does Not Respect Clipping Mask

Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Illustrator:  21.0.0

Note that Asset Export feature ignores clipping masks. Here is an image clearly demonstrating the issue:

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 1.42.56 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be answered in

The answer is - it's a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, I have a workaround that will create what is desired but adds a little more work.

We almost need to have the thought process that we are creating this layout in InDesign where these clipped assets are a separate, placed file in the layout.

For my example I will be creating different backgrounds for an app, these backgrounds have artwork exceeding the bounds of 750x1334 that have been masked to 750x1334.

So here is the workflow that I have used to create the desired clipped asset from the "Asset Export" panel:

• I have created an Illustrator file (Backgrounds.ai) with 3 artboards (2 are 750x1334 and 1 is 750x116)
    • All of these artboards have artwork going out beyond the edge. I have masked the artwork to the artboard size just keep things clean
  • Create an Illustrator file where I composing the entire layout of the app
    • File / Place the Background.ai, make sure you select the 'Options' button and have the 'Show Import Options' ticked
      • You will then have the popup with the option to select your artboard from the background file, make sure you have the option of 'Crop to:' set to 'Trim'
    • Once you have the background placed where you want it, select it and add it to the 'Asset Export' panel like you would normally
      • Select your desired output options and it should give you the desired outcome!

Bonus about this when working in a composition is that when I make changes to the 'Background.ai' it will not only auto update in my layout but also auto update in the 'Asset Export' panel too.

This might be a little cumbersome when you are dealing with a simple layout or a single asset but it will give you the desired outcome we are searching for!

Hope this helps until Adobe creates an option in the export panel where we can 'trim to mask'!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines