4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2016 12:08 PM by Per Berntsen

Searching for fonts that support Russian

Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

I'm looking for a sans serif font for sync that supports Russian. So I select Sans Serif, Paragraphs, and Russian. Include web only is unchecked.

The search returns eight fonts, but when I go to the Details page for each font, it turns out that three of them don't support Russian - Clone Rounded, Skolar and Tisa.

On the other hand, Open Sans, which does support Russian, does not show up in the search.

This makes me wonder if there are other fonts that support Russian that do not show up in the search.

Is it possible to fix this? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Searching for fonts that support Russian
          mollybd Adobe Employee

The best way to filter for Russian language fonts would be through the Language Support filter at the bottom of the filter menu:

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 4.19.27 PM.png

I do see that Source Han Sans shows up in that list, which I'll have our team investigate. However, using this filter will return far more results than your previous search.

• 2. Re: Searching for fonts that support Russian

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear - I did use the filter, like this:

typekit-russian.png

• 3. Re: Searching for fonts that support Russian
              mollybd Adobe Employee

The fonts you highlighted are large families. Some of the styles will include Russian support, while other do not.

For example, Skolar Sans Latin fonts and Clone Rounded Latin fonts do not support Russian, but Skolar Sans PE fonts do as well as Clone Rounded PE fonts. In these two examples, extended language fonts are available for purchase from Typekit Marketplace.

On further examination, I can see that Source Han Sans fonts do include cyrillic glyphs in their character set, which is why they show up in the Russian language filter. I would suggest unselecting the Paragraphs filter to widen your search results.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Searching for fonts that support Russian

Yes, deselecting Paragraphs brings up more fonts, some of which I think should appear with Paragraphs selected.

Source Sans Pro doesn't even show up without Paragraphs selected. It has partial support for Russian; italic fonts have no support.

In general, I'm looking for fonts that I don't have to pay extra for, so it would be nice with a warning at the top of the page (for instance when clicking Skolar Sans with Russian selected), saying that support for Russian is only available with purchased fonts.

Don't know if that's doable though.