Ever since upgrading from CF 8, none of our scheduled tasks that we create outside of the administrator will run.
These tasks are date driven to run once and call a url which starts the task.
Every time we execute the url, either through the CF admin or directly, we get the same error that "The following task could not be found: (name of task)"
I've confirmed that the task in the admin and the name of the task in the database are the same. I've tried removing all spaces from the names, I've tried numbers only. I've tried changing the task from running one time to running on a schedule. Nothing helps.