• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio Interface Recommendations for Surround Sound

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm switching from a Mac to a new Windows PC for my edit suite. I edit almost entirely in 5.1 surround. On my Mac, I used a Digi 002 as a sound interface. It has enough independent outputs to route each of my reference monitors individually. I'm looking for a decent USB 3.0 audio interface for Windows that has at least 6 independent outputs so I can achieve the same setup. Any ideas? I'd also like to have a master volume level in software to adjust the output volume. The downside I always had with my Mac setup was that there was no software control of the overall output volume, so to mix with my master fader in audition where it belonged was outrageously loud. I just had to learn how to mix with the master fader at -24db and then turn the master to 0 before exporting. I'd like to not have to do this anymore if possible. Thanks for any suggestions!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

USB 3 interfaces are as scarce as hen's teeth I'm afraid.  You'll get a much better selection of USB 2 (and a USB 3 port will be backwards compatible.

I have no experience with either (I handle my surround work via a digital mixer) but two interfaces that have been recommended by colleagues I trust are the RME Fireface range and the MOTU 828X.    I'm pretty sure both have either their own software level control or a hardware control on the front panel but, again, I've not used them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd certainly recommend the Fireface UFX as an interface - I've had one for a while and it's been faultless. But...

Yes it has a master output control, but it's only operational on the main monitor output in stereo. No, you can't reconfigure that either, unfortunately; it's the most restricted part of an otherwise unrestricted sound device when it comes to routing. But there again, I can't think of a single interface that allows 5.1 monitor control on the front panel - generally you'd use a dedicated monitor controller for this. I did wonder whether the optional remote control for the UFX (or even the UFX+) would allow you to control 6 outputs separately, but on the face of it, it doesn't seem to - you'd have to ask RME about that to be absolutely sure though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wondered about that--the RME specs I Googled were far from clear.

I'll throw in a third, off the wall, suggestion:

I mentioned I use a digital mixer--mine is ten years old and cost a small fortune but it might be worth looking at the more modern range of stuff from Yamaha, Allen and Heath, Soundcraft, Presonus and Behringer.  They all have economy mixers now and if one has USB (most do) and can handle six separate outs, that could be another direction to look at--and one that gives some other possibly useful features as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's gonna have to be one helluva posh small mixer to have 6 channels available on the master fader!

Personally, if I was going to do this, I'd use the Fireface (because it's good) and just take six of the available analog outputs to an external monitor controller. The one that gets a lot of good reviews (it's very simple, and will control up to 8 channels) is the SPL Volume 8.

Volume 8 - Overview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the suggestions. The RME and Motu interfaces look great. They are a little more expensive than I was hoping, but I'm not ruling them out. I don't really need the quality mic pre-amps these units come with though. With that in mind, has anyone tried the Steinberg UR28M | Sweetwater.com?

It has the right amount of analog outputs. Not sure about software master volume control, but I'm not thinking that is going to be a deciding factor. I will probably have to get the suggested SPL Vol. 8, I'm also open to lower cost, lower quality units if they provide what I need.

I have a Matrox MX02 as well... Matrox isn't supporting it in Windows 10. Maybe I should try it though, first... just in case. I guess I'm also not opposed to buying a Firewire card and trying the Digi 002 either, again, just not supported. Anyone have either of these working in Windows 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at the UR28M before I typed my reply--even downloaded the manual--but it's unclear whether you can use the six outputs independently or as 3 different stereo pairs.  It might be worth a call to Steinberg to ask the question.

You'll lose nothing except a few minutes time plugging in the Matrox.  I have three different interfaces.  Two needed new drivers for Windows 10 and one didn't so it's worth a try.

Even though one of my interfaces currently IS Firewire, I'd think long and hard before buying any more equipment for that interface--it seems to be rapidly dying in terms of availability a support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: It appears the Matrox MX02 isn't going to work. Everything seems to be installed fine and functioning, but Audition or Premiere aren't seeing all of the six different outputs on the device. It shows it as a WDM device, but only gives me two "speakers" to route in the Audio Channel Mapping menu. Under device class ASIO, it says "not working". I can also select something called WASAPI, but it doesn't change anything. I'm new to windows, so maybe there's something I'm missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not unusual for the Windows driver to only give you two channels, but the ASIO driver ought to work fine, I would have thought. Have you checked that it isn't a separate download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not find an ASIO driver anywhere for the Matrox MXO2. I have posted on their support forums asking about it. I tried something called ASIO4ALL but it seems to have basically taken the two channels in the Windows Driver and mapped them to ASIO compliance. It didn't add anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no experience whatever in working with 5.1, but a quick Google search on your Matrox interface led to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yxMqSi-pXEhttp:// which seems to detail exactly how to set up the interface to offer the six outputs with PPro CS6.

Although the video does specifically refer to CS6, perhaps it might also help with CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would check this out myself, except that I'm having to do all correspondence on a tablet in a hotel room in Malta until tomorrow; bandwidth limitations...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. This video explains how to assign your outputs in Premiere in Mac OSX. My Matrox worked perfectly, just like that video, all the way up to CC 2017 on my Mac. I've just switched to Windows however, and the audio channel outputs are not showing up to be routed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies if I'm asking the obvious, but...

I assume you have installed the drivers and the utility for your interface from http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/downloads/download/latest/http://  I see the latest OS listed is Win 8.1 but ...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, away from the wet string now...

Having found the 8.1 download, all I can say is that ASIO isn't mentioned. And, it's now a legacy product. The chances of getting this to work are getting more slender by the moment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did indeed install the latest drivers they had. To no avail. Their support forum wasn't helpful either. I ordered and received my Steinberg UR28M interface today... and as of right now, it's doing exactly what I want it to do flawlessly. Individual 6 channels of output and a volume control knob that turns them all up and down together to boot. Very happy at the moment, well worth the $400 I'd say. I'll come back and post again if any troubles begin to arise. As for the Matrox MXO2, at least the video inputs and outputs still work if I need them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great to hear you've been able to resolve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines