1 Reply Latest reply on May 20, 2006 9:55 PM by ActionScripter1

Confused about dynamic text, paths and referencing HTML pages

TPK Level 1
      Confused about dynamic text, paths and referencing HTML pages

I have a web page that has a Flash file that uses dynamic text generated from an external file. I want to keep all the Flash files in a separate directory so that I can access them from different HTML pages.
      I am a bit confused as to how to structure the path information within the Flash element.

My Flash uses this actionscript code:

var myCSS:TextField.StyleSheet = new TextField.StyleSheet();
      myCSS.load("../css/flash.css");
      index_txt.styleSheet = myCSS;

index_txt.multiline = true;
      index_txt.wordWrap = true;
      index_txt.html = true;

var myText:XML = new XML();
      myText.ignoreWhite = true;
      myText.load("../_flash/Flash_Text.html");
      myText.onLoad = function()
      {
      index_txt.htmlText = myText;
      }

The page that currently uses the flash is in this directory: (but there will likely be others in the future)
      Root -> site ->flash_page.html
      The page containing the text that is pulled is:
      Root -> site -> flash -> Flash_Text.html

When developing the Flash file the dynamic text appears fine when tested through the Flash application. When I test the page (in Dreamweaver) either on my local machine or on the remote server it fails. The page does contain the other visual elements of the Flash file, just not the dynamic text, so I know the HTML page is properly accessing the swf file.

I suspect I need to use _root in the actionscript to make my path information for myText.load play well with different HTML pages, but I am not sure how to use it.

I haven’t found any documents that explain if I should use literal paths or virtual paths and whether the path information contained should be to the location where the Flash file is stored or the page it is being called from.

Can anyone shed any light on the rules for file paths within a Flash file? Or better yet, suggest an article or document that would explain it?

Thank you,

TPK