3 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2006 2:09 PM by Newsgroup_User

Flex Builder installed as Plugin strangeness

dnando
      Re: Beta 3 of Flex Builder, i've got the standalone version installed on my laptop and the plugin version on my desk machine. All's fine with the standalone version. I'm working thru the Lessons in the Getting Started Tutorials, and when i change the Default Application from Lessons.mxml to Layout.mxml on my desk machine with the plugin version and click the Run button, i still see the Lessons.mxml in the Browser. I've tried rebuild the project using Project > Clean... but with no success. I've also deleted the Lessons file and tried rebuilding the project from scratch, but when i click on the Run button, it still tries to open the Lessons file.

Also, the way the interface is laid out is different between the versions, and that makes me a little suspicious. I installed both from the same installation file, FlexBuilder2_B3_05-08.exe, and this is the first time i've installed FlexBuilder on either machine.

Any advice?
        • 1. Re: Flex Builder installed as Plugin strangeness
          Level 7
          The standalone and plugin versions behave a bit differently when running
          applications. In standalone, we tried to make it work "the way you
          expect". If you select a file and click run, it runs that file. If you
          have are currently working on an application, it runs that application.

In the plugin version, we work the normal Eclipse way so that we fit in
          better with other Eclipse plugins. To run an application, you need to
          either create a run configuration for it (which is a bit of a pain) or
          right click on the file in the navigator and choose "Run as Flex
          Application".

-Sho
          • 2. Re: Flex Builder installed as Plugin strangeness
            dnando Level 1
            Sho, thanks for the information. I just opened Eclipse to try it in the plugin version and when i right click on ViewStates.mxml for instance, i don't see an option to Run as Flex Application. I just see an option to Set as Default Application.

Then i looked in the Standalone version and if i right click on an mxml file, i see an option to Run Application, and indeed it works. So as far as i can see, what you describe only works in the standalone version.

I don't know if there's something you guys would want to fix here, but at the very least, i think it would be good to modify the tutorials, because they say to click on the Run button. So from a newbie's perspective, it's confusing.
            • 3. Re: Flex Builder installed as Plugin strangeness
              Level 7
              Hi Deva,

> Sho, thanks for the information. I just opened Eclipse to try it in the plugin
              > version and when i right click on ViewStates.mxml for instance, i don't see an
              > option to Run as Flex Application. I just see an option to Set as Default
              > Application.

I think Sho meant to choose the "Run As" submenu, then choose "Flex
              Application" from there. Once you've done that once, the Run button
              should then default to that application.

> Then i looked in the Standalone version and if i right click on an mxml file,
              > i see an option to Run Application, and indeed it works. So as far as i can
              > see, what you describe only works in the standalone version.
              >
              > I don't know if there's something you guys would want to fix here, but at the
              > very least, i think it would be good to modify the tutorials, because they say
              > to click on the Run button. So from a newbie's perspective, it's confusing.

Good point--we probably wrote the tutorials based on the standalone
              version. I'll let the docs team know about this issue.

Thanks.

--
              nj
              Flex Builder team